Two Types of Meditation: Stabilizing and Analytical

    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 29 8:33 PM
      From ur web site, Meditation Station
      http://www.meditationsociety.com/twotypes.html

      Tibetan Buddhism speaks of two different types of
      meditation. One is Stabilizing and could be characterized
      by a type of "mindless" repetition of a word or phrase
      (mantra/japa) or by simply doing an action over and over
      like yantra (the continual gazing at an object,
      ie: a picture or statue of a deity, the symbol for OM,
      a flame, etc.). The other type of meditation is Analytical.
      In this form, the practitioner doesn't simply repeat a
      word over and over or look at a picture repeatedly.
      The meditator would try to understand everything they
      know or everything that can be known about the object
      of their attention.

      As an example of the difference between a stabilizing
      and an analytical meditation, let's use the word peace.
      You could repeat peace, peace, peace, ad infinitum and
      eventually go deeper and deeper into a state of quietude
      that could be described as Peace. This is very nice but
      perhaps might not be fulfilling relative to an increase in understanding about peace. This is where analytical meditation
      might bring a benefit.

      The meditator who is trained in analytical methodology
      might also start by repeating the word peace, but once
      firmly concentrated on it would then proceed to analyzing
      everything they knew about peace. They might think about
      the things that bring them peace like swimming, or eating,
      or maybe holding a baby. They may also think about the
      things that make them lose their peace like their boss, or unfulfilled desires, or driving in heavy traffic.

      In theory, eventually, if they kept at it, they would
      connect everything in the universe, because everything
      is in some way connected with peace (Einstein's' theory
      of relativity - all things are relative to everything else).
      But what actually happens is that the object of your
      meditation starts to present itself to you and you can
      sit back in your minds-eye and simply witness your Higher
      Mind reveal every aspect of peace to you.

      Your inner Witness, who is your Real Self, is always
      receiving, knowing, and at one with everything and once
      we remove the false concept that we are different (a body,
      a mind, an emotion, even a separate soul) from it, we will
      know and be at one with everything. Our consciousness
      awakens to its real natural of infinite, eternal Peace, Love, Knowledge, and Bliss, and we live happily ever after.
      This is the state known as Contemplation.

      So, to summarize, you start by Concentrating, then Meditate
      by the analytical method, and then this segues into
      Contemplation. It is then when all the ???'s turn into !!!.
      The Tibetans Buddhists consider analytical meditation
      techniques to be superior to the stabilizing. For you,
      now, it may be possible that this may bring about the
      result you seek.