How Christ and Buddha's found their "way out"

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 27, 2012
      This is a small part of an amazing interview with
      Bernadette Roberts that can be found at:
      http://www.spiritualteachers.org/b_roberts_interview.htm
      Enjoy!

      Paradoxical though it may seem, the passage through
      consciousness or self moves contrary to self, rubs
      it the wrong way - and in the end, will even rub it
      out. Because this passage goes against the grain of
      self, it is, therefore, a path of suffering. Both
      Christ and Buddha saw the passage as one of suffering,
      and basically found identical ways out. What they
      discovered and revealed to us was that each of us has
      within himself or herself a "stillpoint" - comparable,
      perhaps to the eye of a cyclone, a spot or center of
      calm, imperturbability, and non-movement. Buddha
      articulated this central eye in negative terms as
      "emptiness" or "void", a refuge from the swirling
      cyclone of endless suffering. Christ articulated the
      eye in more positive terms as the "Kingdom of God"
      or the "Spirit within", a place of refuge and
      salvation from a suffering self.

      For both of them, the easy out was first to find
      that stillpoint and then, by attaching ourselves to
      it, by becoming one with it, to find a stabilizing,
      balanced anchor in our lives. After that, the cyclone
      is gradually drawn into the eye, and the suffering
      self comes to an end. And when there is no longer a
      cyclone, there is also no longer an eye. So the storms,
      crises, and sufferings of life are a way of finding
      the eye. When everything is going our way, we do not
      see the eye, and we feel no need to find it. But when
      everything is going against us, then we find the eye.
      So the avoidance of suffering and the desire to have
      everything go our own way runs contrary to the whole
      movement of our journey; it is all a wrong view. With
      the right view, however, one should be able to come to
      the state of oneness in six or seven years - years not
      merely of suffering, but years of enlightenment, for
      right suffering is the essence of enlightenment. Because
      self is everyone's experience underlying all culture.
      I do not regard cultural wrong views as an excuse for
      not searching out right views. After all, each person's
      passage is his or her own; there is no such thing as a
      collective passage.
      permission from the copyright owner.