Words of Wisdom by Don Juan Matus

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 24, 2012
      "Self-importance is our greatest enemy.
      Think about it: what weakens us is feeling
      offended by the deeds and misdeeds of our
      fellow men. Our self-importance requires
      that we spend most of our lives offended by
      someone. Without self-importance we are invulnerable."
      permission from the copyright owner.
    • dan330033
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 25, 2012

        > "Self-importance is our greatest enemy.
        > Think about it: what weakens us is feeling
        > offended by the deeds and misdeeds of our
        > fellow men. Our self-importance requires
        > that we spend most of our lives offended by
        > someone. Without self-importance we are invulnerable."

        I can only be considered important if there is something or someone else less important. My self-importance requires someone else to be less important (and inevitably, someone else who is more important as well). So, it's a constant battle to survive in a way that is noticed, and in which I can comment about myself (to myself and others).

        If there can be high importance, there can be low importance and non-importance.

        The human machine is designed to constantly make such differentiations - what is important, what is not important, etc. Self-importance arises out of such cognitive processes.

        Distinctions made about what is important and not important are essential for survival.

        However, at the moment of awareness, all is equal.

        There is no "more important, less important, no importance."

        Thus, clarity as to who one is, has no survival value.

        It is not about survival of the organism in a more efficient way.

        Nor is it against the survival of the organism.

        It simply has no application to survival.

        Pure equality as being all - involves nothing to survive.

        Thus, if "self" is associated with an organism surviving - pure equality of being involves no self (or Self) - nor other or Other, for that matter.

        Pure equality of being, seeing, knowing, living.

        In the moment of seeing, self-importance is a non-issue.

        Neither is vulnerability or invulnerability an issue - there is nothing outside to be vulnerable to, or invulnerable to.

        - D -
      • Bruce Morgen
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 25, 2012
          On 4/25/2012 5:48 PM, dan330033 wrote:

          > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, medit8ionsociety<no_reply@...> wrote:
          >> "Self-importance is our greatest enemy.
          >> Think about it: what weakens us is feeling
          >> offended by the deeds and misdeeds of our
          >> fellow men. Our self-importance requires
          >> that we spend most of our lives offended by
          >> someone. Without self-importance we are invulnerable."
          > I can only be considered important if there is something or someone else less important. My self-importance requires someone else to be less important (and inevitably, someone else who is more important as well). So, it's a constant battle to survive in a way that is noticed, and in which I can comment about myself (to myself and others).
          >
          > If there can be high importance, there can be low importance and non-importance.
          >
          > The human machine is designed to constantly make such differentiations - what is important, what is not important, etc. Self-importance arises out of such cognitive processes.
          >
          > Distinctions made about what is important and not important are essential for survival.
          >
          > However, at the moment of awareness, all is equal.
          >
          > There is no "more important, less important, no importance."
          >
          > Thus, clarity as to who one is, has no survival value.
          >
          > It is not about survival of the organism in a more efficient way.
          >
          > Nor is it against the survival of the organism.
          >
          > It simply has no application to survival.
          >
          > Pure equality as being all - involves nothing to survive.
          >
          > Thus, if "self" is associated with an organism surviving - pure equality of being involves no self (or Self) - nor other or Other, for that matter.
          >
          > Pure equality of being, seeing, knowing, living.
          >
          > In the moment of seeing, self-importance is a non-issue.
          >
          > Neither is vulnerability or invulnerability an issue - there is nothing outside to be vulnerable to, or invulnerable to.

          Excellent commentary -- much
          appreciated, sir!