Words of Wisdom by Swami Satchidananda

    Message 1 of 193 , Apr 21, 2012
      Happiness and Unhappiness are in the Mind

      "Those living in a body that has been disabled
      or handicapped for a long time, or permanently,
      should know that it's only the body and not the
      soul that's disabled. Don't get depressed. You
      can travel far and wide and do a lot of service
      through the mind itself. Think well. Pray for all.
      You don't have to limit yourself within your body
      or the place where you are. If you can't get the
      condition corrected or healed, don't worry about
      that, accept it. Worrying isn't going to help you.
      Don't get depressed. Know that happiness and
      unhappiness are in the mind, not in the body.
      Whatever the body goes through, let it go through,
      and don't allow your mind to get depressed. Don't
      get confined within your body. A body is a sort of
      prison. It limits you, but, mentally, you can rise above it. !

      MAKE THE CALL:

      Hear monthly messages from Sri Swami Satchidananda on the Inspiration Line (434-WOW-GURU).
      Message 193 of 193 , Dec 25, 2014

        Question: I have a growing desire to see God. It has become the thing I want most. But no matter how much I long for Him, my worldly duties and needs get in the way. Can you help me?

        Sri Swami Satchidananda: How do you know that you have not seen Him? I heard Him saying, "I have been in front of this person so many times, but he never even recognized Me. He was calling, calling, calling for Me. So I went there many times, stood right in front of him, and he didn't even bother to look at Me. He just brushed Me aside and kept on saying, 'God, where are You? Where are You?'"

        Before you look for God, you should know what He looks like, or at least what God is. God has no particular form, but He appears in all forms and names. It is with His consciousness that I am saying all these things; and with His consciousness, you are listening. To simplify it, we say that God is all consciousness - superconsciousness, cosmic consciousness - or peace. God is already there in you as peace, but you disturb your peace by searching for God. Stop searching and disturbing your peace, and you will experience God. A disturbed mind can never understand God. Looking for God is not our first and foremost duty. Our first and foremost duty is to take care not to let the mind lose its peace. You don't have to make the mind peaceful. If you leave it alone, it is peaceful. In our own lives we should see that we don't lose our peace due to our thoughts, words, actions.

        Learn to remain undisturbed, unshakeable, as steady as the Rock of Gibraltar. You should treasure the peace of your mind so much that nothing, nothing, nothing would shake you. You should be ready to renounce anything and everything that is going to disturb your peace. Name, fame, money, power, position, relatives, friends - all should be secondary to maintaining your peace. Everything else is nothing compared to peace of mind. With that peace, you will easily see God.

        Om shant. Om shanti. Om shanti.