Words of Wisdom by Swami Satchidananda

    Message 1 of 195 , Apr 21 6:02 PM
      Happiness and Unhappiness are in the Mind

      "Those living in a body that has been disabled
      or handicapped for a long time, or permanently,
      should know that it's only the body and not the
      soul that's disabled. Don't get depressed. You
      can travel far and wide and do a lot of service
      through the mind itself. Think well. Pray for all.
      You don't have to limit yourself within your body
      or the place where you are. If you can't get the
      condition corrected or healed, don't worry about
      that, accept it. Worrying isn't going to help you.
      Don't get depressed. Know that happiness and
      unhappiness are in the mind, not in the body.
      Whatever the body goes through, let it go through,
      and don't allow your mind to get depressed. Don't
      get confined within your body. A body is a sort of
      prison. It limits you, but, mentally, you can rise above it. !

      MAKE THE CALL:

      Hear monthly messages from Sri Swami Satchidananda on the Inspiration Line (434-WOW-GURU).
      Message 195 of 195 , Apr 16 4:18 AM

        The Right Thing

        How do you know if what you decide to do is the right thing? It's very simple. The right thing will not affect your health and happiness. That's all. Anything that would affect your physical and mental peace, your health and happiness, is wrong. Anything. This might bring another question: "Suppose I want to help somebody who is troubled and that affects me. Should I do it or not?" If you are joyfully serving someone, even going through some pain doesn't affect you. You are still happy; you are simply using a little of your energy to help someone. You can't call that unhappiness.

        Sometimes when you help somebody, you feel depressed. Why is that? It is because you had expectations. "I am helping that person. The person should accept my help and get the benefit." When you don't see that person getting the benefit you expected, you get upset. That means it's not a selfless act, it's a selfish act. "I did something and I want a result."

        That doesn't mean there shouldn't be positive thoughts behind your actions. Certainly send your prayers, think about the welfare of the person. The difference is this: you want him to be happy of course, but you don't demand it. You are not attached to the outcome; you leave that up to God.

        In simple words, I would say an action without any selfish expectation whatsoever is a right action. Such an act will never disturb your mind or body.

        Om Shanti, Om Shanti, Om Shanti

        SwamiSatchidananda