The Gift of Insults

    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 17, 2012
      By Paulo Coelho

      Near Tokyo lived a great Samurai warrior, now old,
      who decided to teach Zen Buddhism to young people.
      In spite of his age, the legend was that he could
      defeat any adversary.

      One afternoon, a warrior – known for his complete
      lack of scruples – arrived there. He was famous for
      using techniques of provocation: he waited until his
      adversary made the first move and, being gifted with
      an enviable intelligence in order to repair any
      mistakes made, he counterattacked with fulminating speed.

      The young and impatient warrior had never lost a
      fight. Hearing of the Samurai's reputation, he had
      come to defeat him, and increase his fame.

      All the students were against the idea, but the old
      man accepted the challenge.

      All gathered on the town square, and the young man
      started insulting the old master. He threw a few
      rocks in his direction, spat in his face, shouted
      every insult under the sun – he even insulted his
      ancestors. For hours, he did everything to provoke
      him, but the old man remained impassive. At the end
      of the afternoon, by now feeling exhausted and
      humiliated, the impetuous warrior left.

      Disappointed by the fact that the master had received
      so many insults and provocations, the students asked:

      - How could you bear such indignity? Why didn't you
      use your sword, even knowing you might lose the fight,
      instead of displaying your cowardice in front of us all?

      - If someone comes to you with a gift, and you do not
      accept it, who does the gift belong to? – asked the Samurai.

      - He who tried to deliver it – replied one of his disciples.

      - The same goes for envy, anger and insults – said the master.
      – When they are not accepted, they continue to belong to
      the one who carried them.
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 16, 2012
        The first step in Raja Yoga, the Yoga of Meditation,
        is discrimination and dispassion. Discrimination refers
        to knowing the eternal as opposed to the temporary, the
        real verses the unreal, and so on. Dispassion is not being
        cold or aloof to things and events, but rather not being
        overly sad or happy, having equipoise, being in the
        Tao rather than being either in the Yin or the Yang.
        Paul Cello tells a great story that points to dispassion
        being well demonstrated. Enjoy!

        The Gift of Insults

        Near Tokyo lived a great Samurai, now old, who decided
        to teach Zen Buddhism to young people.

        One afternoon, a warrior – known for his complete lack
        of scruples – arrived there. The young and impatient
[...]

      • walto
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 17, 2012

          > – The same goes for envy, anger and insults – said the master.
          > "When they are not accepted, they continue to belong to the
          > one who carried them."

          That's nice. Thanks.

          The only thing I'd add is that with envy, anger and insults, even if they ARE accepted they continue to belong to the one who carried them.

        • Sean
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 19, 2012

            That is an exellent story, I myself sometimes suffer the sin of pride.

            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 19, 2012
              Yo Sean,
              Especially for someone like you; a "great Samurai,
              now getting older, who teaches truth to people",
              relative to the story and dispassion, the "sin"
              of pride is equal to the "sin" of shame. Both take
              your peace away. So, the wise warier sits, even if
              standing or walking, in the position of the Witness,
              in the Tao, serenely untouched and unaffected as
              the dualities of Maya float past. And lives happily
              ever after.

              >>Sean <bethjams9@...> wrote:

              >>That is an exellent story, I myself sometimes suffer the sin of pride.

              >medit8ionsociety <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

              >The first step in Raja Yoga, the Yoga of Meditation,
              >is discrimination and dispassion. Discrimination refers
              >to knowing the eternal as opposed to the temporary, the
              >real verses the unreal, and so on. Dispassion is not being
              >cold or aloof to things and events, but rather not being
              >overly sad or happy, having equipoise, being in the
              >Tao rather than being either in the Yin or the Yang.
              >Paul Cello tells a great story that points to dispassion
              >being well demonstrated. Enjoy!
              >
              >The Gift of Insults
              >
              >Near Tokyo lived a great Samurai, now old, who decided
              >to teach Zen Buddhism to young people.
              >
              >One afternoon, a warrior – known for his complete lack
              >of scruples – arrived there. The young and impatient
              >warrior had never lost a fight. Hearing of the Samurai's
              >reputation, he had come to defeat him, and increase his fame.
              >
              >All the students were against the idea, but the old man
              >accepted the challenge.
              >
              >All gathered on the town square, and the young man
              >started insulting the old master. He threw a few rocks
              >in his direction, spat in his face, shouted every insult
              >under the sun – he even insulted his ancestors.
              >
              >For hours, he did everything to provoke him, but the old
              >man remained impassive. At the end of the afternoon, by now
              >feeling exhausted and humiliated, the impetuous warrior left.
              >
              >Disappointed by the fact that the master had received so
              >many insults and provocations, the students asked:
              >– How could you bear such indignity? Why didn't you use
              >your sword, even knowing you might lose the fight, instead of displaying your cowardice in front of us all?
              >
              >– If someone comes to you with a gift, and you do not
              >accept it, who does the gift belong to? – asked the Samurai.
              >– He who tried to deliver it – replied one of his disciples.
              >
              >– The same goes for envy, anger and insults – said the master.
              >"When they are not accepted, they continue to belong to the
              >one who carried them."

            • Sean
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 19, 2012

                A good example of the true meaning of attachment, thanks Bob

              • ddaccounting@sbcglobal.net
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 20, 2012
                  like it... thank you.

                  Patricia Valle