Words of Wisdom by Swami Satchdananda

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 14, 2012
      Slowly Remove the Temper

      "Suppression is the opposite of what we are
      trying to achieve through Yoga, because anything
      that you try to suppress will gain more strength.
      It's something, for example, like holding down
      the spring in a jack-in-the-box. If I want to
      suppress the spring in a jack-in-the-box, should
      I take my hand off it? If I did, it would jump
      up even higher. Of course, you might hold down
      the spring temporarily and it will look like it's
      controlled but, the minute you let go, it pops up.
      By analogy, meditation and all the Yoga practices
      are aimed at slowly removing the temper of the
      spring. That is, the spring stays there because of
      tempering. Any steel, when it's tempered, becomes
      a nice spring. So when we reduce our temper, we won't
      spring out too much. Any steel can be re-tempered
      by mild heat. And that is the purpose of tapasya ! (
      purification) in Yoga practice.

      Follow Swami Satchidananda on Twitter at
      twitter.com/SwSatchidananda for daily inspiration.