A Unique Meditation Perspective

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 14 4:14 PM
      This quote is from Karlfried Graf Durckheim (1896-1988)
      He was a German Psychiatrist who had been a Nazi envoy
      who was found to have a Jewish Grandmother in 1938. He
      then moved to Japan and eventually was caught and
      imprisoned by the Americans when they occupied Tokyo
      after WWII. He spent a year and a half in prison and
      after his release hooked up with D. T. Suzuki and Philip
      Kapleau. Durckheim is credited as being one of the first
      to bring Zen wisdom to America and Euproe. His teachings
      had a profound impact on many, and we hope this sample
      will be of benefit to you.
      The man who, being really on the Way, falls upon
      hard times in the world will not, as a consequence,
      turn to that friend who offers him refuge and
      comfort and encourages his old self to survive.
      Rather, he will seek out someone who will faithfully
      and inexorably help him to risk himself, so that
      he may endure the suffering and pass courageously
      through it, thus making of it a "raft that leads
      to the far shore." Only to the extent that man exposes
      himself over and over again to annihilation, can
      that which is indestructible arise within him. In this
      lies the dignity of daring. Thus, the aim of practice
      is not to develop an attitude which allows a man to
      acquire a state of harmony and peace wherein nothing
      can ever trouble him. On the contrary, practice should
      teach him to let himself be assaulted, perturbed,
      moved, insulted, broken and battered – that is to
      say, it should enable him to dare to let go his futile
      hankering after harmony, surcease from pain, and a
      comfortable life in order that he may discover, in
      doing battle with the forces that oppose him, that
      which awaits him beyond the world of opposites. The first
      necessity is that we should have the courage to face
      life, and to encounter all that is most perilous in
      the world. When this is possible, meditation itself
      becomes the means by which we accept and welcome the
      demons which arise from the unconscious -- a process
      very different from the practice of concentration on
      some object as a protection against such forces. Only
      if we venture repeatedly through zones of annihilation,
      can our contact with Divine Being, which is beyond
      annihilation, become firm and stable. The more a man
      learns whole-heartedly to confront the world that threatens
      him with isolation, the more are the depths of the Ground
      of Being revealed and the possibilities of new life
      and Becoming opened.

      permission from the copyright owner.