Re: A Nasrudin Tale Shared by Paulo Coelho

    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 3, 2012
      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "walto" <calhorn@...> wrote:

      > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, medit8ionsociety <no_reply@> wrote:
      > >

      > > "You are mistaken," replied Nasrudin. "The best way
      > > of dominating a desire, is to satisfy it.
      >
      > NB: Please don't pass this on to your friends who have a taste for Oxycontin or have lost over $100K in Vegas in the past couple of years.

      Well, if you are referring to "desire" from a Buddhist
      perspective (Thanha - "craving") then addiction would
      make Nasrudin's teaching nonsensical (as are most of
      his when not looked at/into in at least 7 ways as Sufi's do).
      Here, it's very likely that what is being pointed to
      is "Light", the universal desire. And with some reflection,
      the Mullah's pointing makes all the sense in the universe.
    • walto
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 3, 2012

        > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "walto" <calhorn@> wrote:
        > >

        > > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, medit8ionsociety <no_reply@> wrote:
        > > >

        > > > "You are mistaken," replied Nasrudin. "The best way
        > > > of dominating a desire, is to satisfy it.
        > >
        > > NB: Please don't pass this on to your friends who have a taste for Oxycontin or have lost over $100K in Vegas in the past couple of years.

        > Well, if you are referring to "desire" from a Buddhist
        > perspective (Thanha - "craving") then addiction would
        > make Nasrudin's teaching nonsensical (as are most of
        > his when not looked at/into in at least 7 ways as Sufi's do).
        > Here, it's very likely that what is being pointed to
        > is "Light", the universal desire. And with some reflection,
        > the Mullah's pointing makes all the sense in the universe.

        Hunh. The story you posted doesn't actually mention or suggest "Light" or any such universal desire. Rather, it focuses on "A fine plate of sweets left on the table" which Nasrudin "made all his disciples eat" because, he tells us, the way to conquer desire is to satisfy it.

        Admittedly, however, I'm leaving out the other (at least) 6 ways of reading that story.

        Best,

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 3, 2012
          "walto" <calhorn@...> wrote:

          > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, medit8ionsociety <no_reply@> wrote:
          > >

          > > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "walto" <calhorn@> wrote:

          > > > NB: Please don't pass this on to your friends who have a taste for Oxycontin or have lost over $100K in Vegas in the past couple of years.

          > > Well, if you are referring to "desire" from a Buddhist
          > > perspective (Thanha - "craving") then addiction would
          > > make Nasrudin's teaching nonsensical (as are most of
          > > his when not looked at/into in at least 7 ways as Sufi's do).
          > > Here, it's very likely that what is being pointed to
          > > is "Light", the universal desire. And with some reflection,
          > > the Mullah's pointing makes all the sense in the universe.
          > >

          > Hunh. The story you posted doesn't actually mention or suggest "Light" or any such universal desire. Rather, it focuses on "A fine plate of sweets left on the table" which Nasrudin "made all his disciples eat" because, he tells us, the way to conquer desire is to satisfy it.
          >
          > Admittedly, however, I'm leaving out the other (at least) 6 ways of reading that story.
          >
          > Best,

          OK - here's some sweets I hope can be well digested:

          All Nasrudin's disciples were gathered at a feast.
          They ate and drank for several hours, and talked
          about the origins of the stars. The night drew on
          and everyone made ready to go home.

          B- When you feast with a Sufi master, what you eat and
          drink are spiritual food, with it's only intention being
          Being, Attention and Intention. The origins of the stars
          is Light. Everyone made ready to go home to the light
          as the night of darkness - ignorance - drew on.

          A fine plate of sweets was left on the table: Nasrudin
          made all his disciples eat it.

          B - The Mullah gave his disciples a fine spiritual sweet -
          his enLightening teaching

          One, however, refused.

          "The master is testing us," he said. "He wants to see
          whether we can control our desires."

          B - A non-evolved disciple thought the "meal" was all
          about human body, mind, emotion stuff.

          "You are mistaken," replied Nasrudin. "The best way
          of dominating a desire, is to satisfy it. I would rather
          you had the sweets in your bellies – their rightful
          place – than in your minds, which should be filled with
          nobler things."

          B - Your turn now to appreciate this sweet treat and
          find many more ways to digest this feast into
          inner Light and not just chew on it in your chattering mind.

        • cosmic_yogi1
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 4, 2012
            Yo,

            Explained like a True Yogi.

            Thanks

            ONE

            > "walto" <calhorn@> wrote:
            > >
            > > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, medit8ionsociety <no_reply@> wrote:

            > > > Well, if you are referring to "desire" from a Buddhist
            > > > perspective (Thanha - "craving") then addiction would
            > > > make Nasrudin's teaching nonsensical (as are most of
            > > > his when not looked at/into in at least 7 ways as Sufi's do).
            > > > Here, it's very likely that what is being pointed to
            > > > is "Light", the universal desire. And with some reflection,
            > > > the Mullah's pointing makes all the sense in the universe.
            > > >

            > > Hunh. The story you posted doesn't actually mention or suggest "Light" or any such universal desire. Rather, it focuses on "A fine plate of sweets left on the table" which Nasrudin "made all his disciples eat" because, he tells us, the way to conquer desire is to satisfy it.
            > >
            > > Admittedly, however, I'm leaving out the other (at least) 6 ways of reading that story.
            > >
            > > Best,

            > OK - here's some sweets I hope can be well digested:
            >
            > All Nasrudin's disciples were gathered at a feast.
            > They ate and drank for several hours, and talked
            > about the origins of the stars. The night drew on
            > and everyone made ready to go home.
            >
            > B- When you feast with a Sufi master, what you eat and
            > drink are spiritual food, with it's only intention being
            > Being, Attention and Intention. The origins of the stars
            > is Light. Everyone made ready to go home to the light
            > as the night of darkness - ignorance - drew on.
            >
            > A fine plate of sweets was left on the table: Nasrudin
            > made all his disciples eat it.
            >
            > B - The Mullah gave his disciples a fine spiritual sweet -
            > his enLightening teaching
            >
            > One, however, refused.
            >
            > "The master is testing us," he said. "He wants to see
            > whether we can control our desires."
            >
            > B - A non-evolved disciple thought the "meal" was all
            > about human body, mind, emotion stuff.
            >
            > "You are mistaken," replied Nasrudin. "The best way
            > of dominating a desire, is to satisfy it. I would rather
            > you had the sweets in your bellies – their rightful
            > place – than in your minds, which should be filled with
            > nobler things."
            >
            > B - Your turn now to appreciate this sweet treat and
            > find many more ways to digest this feast into
            > inner Light and not just chew on it in your chattering mind.
            >
            > Peace and blessings,
            > Bob

          • WestWindWood
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 5, 2012
              If we do not eat we will starve to death. If there was no sex, the human race would die out in a generation. Everything in moderation.

              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 5, 2012
                WestWindWood <westwindwood2003@...> wrote:

                > If we do not eat we will starve to death. If there was no sex, the human race would die out in a generation. Everything in moderation.

                Of course Sri Westwingwood is correct - in moderation.
                Just joking, but semi-serious too. This concept of
                everything in moderation is not one we have experiential
                knowledge of, which doesn't make it untrue....or true.
                Can you murder in moderation? Can a woman be pregnant in
                moderation, etc. Well, when we truly are in the Tao,
                Enlightened, Satori, Christ Consciousness, etc, there
                is no question of moderation. "Surrender" of the duality
                perspective of "i am here and the rest of the Universe
                is there" can only be total or not at all. The "Light"
                that the Sufi's consider our Universal desire is One that
                removes all darkness....not in moderation.

                But then again, isn't this concept too only moderately true;
                perhaps just semantically until it is experiential?

                In any event, posting these kinds of ideas here brings sweet
                spiritual foods to the table, and that is very appreciated.
                And when meditated upon and well digested, provide good and
                healthy energy to grow on in consciousness....at least moderately.