A Nasrudin Tale Shared by Paulo Coelho

    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 2, 2012
      All Nasrudin's disciples were gathered at a feast.
      They ate and drank for several hours, and talked
      about the origins of the stars. The night drew on
      and everyone made ready to go home.

      A fine plate of sweets was left on the table: Nasrudin
      made all his disciples eat it.

      One, however, refused.

      "The master is testing us," he said. "He wants to see
      whether we can control our desires."

      "You are mistaken," replied Nasrudin. "The best way
      of dominating a desire, is to satisfy it. I would rather
      you had the sweets in your bellies – their rightful
      place – than in your minds, which should be filled with
      nobler things."
    • walto
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 3, 2012

        > "You are mistaken," replied Nasrudin. "The best way
        > of dominating a desire, is to satisfy it.

        NB: Please don't pass this on to your friends who have a taste for Oxycontin or have lost over $100K in Vegas in the past couple of years.

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 3, 2012
          --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "walto" <calhorn@...> wrote:

          > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, medit8ionsociety <no_reply@> wrote:
          > >

          > > "You are mistaken," replied Nasrudin. "The best way
          > > of dominating a desire, is to satisfy it.
          >
          > NB: Please don't pass this on to your friends who have a taste for Oxycontin or have lost over $100K in Vegas in the past couple of years.

          Well, if you are referring to "desire" from a Buddhist
          perspective (Thanha - "craving") then addiction would
          make Nasrudin's teaching nonsensical (as are most of
          his when not looked at/into in at least 7 ways as Sufi's do).
          Here, it's very likely that what is being pointed to
          is "Light", the universal desire. And with some reflection,
          the Mullah's pointing makes all the sense in the universe.
        • walto
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 3, 2012

            > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "walto" <calhorn@> wrote:
            > >

            > > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, medit8ionsociety <no_reply@> wrote:
            > > >

            > > > "You are mistaken," replied Nasrudin. "The best way
            > > > of dominating a desire, is to satisfy it.
            > >
            > > NB: Please don't pass this on to your friends who have a taste for Oxycontin or have lost over $100K in Vegas in the past couple of years.

            > Well, if you are referring to "desire" from a Buddhist
            > perspective (Thanha - "craving") then addiction would
            > make Nasrudin's teaching nonsensical (as are most of
            > his when not looked at/into in at least 7 ways as Sufi's do).
            > Here, it's very likely that what is being pointed to
            > is "Light", the universal desire. And with some reflection,
            > the Mullah's pointing makes all the sense in the universe.

            Hunh. The story you posted doesn't actually mention or suggest "Light" or any such universal desire. Rather, it focuses on "A fine plate of sweets left on the table" which Nasrudin "made all his disciples eat" because, he tells us, the way to conquer desire is to satisfy it.

            Admittedly, however, I'm leaving out the other (at least) 6 ways of reading that story.

            Best,

            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 3, 2012
              "walto" <calhorn@...> wrote:

              > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, medit8ionsociety <no_reply@> wrote:
              > >

              > > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "walto" <calhorn@> wrote:

              > > > NB: Please don't pass this on to your friends who have a taste for Oxycontin or have lost over $100K in Vegas in the past couple of years.

              > > Well, if you are referring to "desire" from a Buddhist
              > > perspective (Thanha - "craving") then addiction would
              > > make Nasrudin's teaching nonsensical (as are most of
              > > his when not looked at/into in at least 7 ways as Sufi's do).
              > > Here, it's very likely that what is being pointed to
              > > is "Light", the universal desire. And with some reflection,
              > > the Mullah's pointing makes all the sense in the universe.
              > >

              > Hunh. The story you posted doesn't actually mention or suggest "Light" or any such universal desire. Rather, it focuses on "A fine plate of sweets left on the table" which Nasrudin "made all his disciples eat" because, he tells us, the way to conquer desire is to satisfy it.
              >
              > Admittedly, however, I'm leaving out the other (at least) 6 ways of reading that story.
              >
              > Best,

              OK - here's some sweets I hope can be well digested:

              All Nasrudin's disciples were gathered at a feast.
              They ate and drank for several hours, and talked
              about the origins of the stars. The night drew on
              and everyone made ready to go home.

              B- When you feast with a Sufi master, what you eat and
              drink are spiritual food, with it's only intention being
              Being, Attention and Intention. The origins of the stars
              is Light. Everyone made ready to go home to the light
              as the night of darkness - ignorance - drew on.

              A fine plate of sweets was left on the table: Nasrudin
              made all his disciples eat it.

              B - The Mullah gave his disciples a fine spiritual sweet -
              his enLightening teaching

              One, however, refused.

              "The master is testing us," he said. "He wants to see
              whether we can control our desires."

              B - A non-evolved disciple thought the "meal" was all
              about human body, mind, emotion stuff.

              "You are mistaken," replied Nasrudin. "The best way
              of dominating a desire, is to satisfy it. I would rather
              you had the sweets in your bellies – their rightful
              place – than in your minds, which should be filled with
              nobler things."

              B - Your turn now to appreciate this sweet treat and
              find many more ways to digest this feast into
              inner Light and not just chew on it in your chattering mind.

            • cosmic_yogi1
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 4, 2012
                Yo,

                Explained like a True Yogi.

                Thanks

                ONE

                > "walto" <calhorn@> wrote:
                > >
                > > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, medit8ionsociety <no_reply@> wrote:

                > > > Well, if you are referring to "desire" from a Buddhist
                > > > perspective (Thanha - "craving") then addiction would
                > > > make Nasrudin's teaching nonsensical (as are most of
                > > > his when not looked at/into in at least 7 ways as Sufi's do).
                > > > Here, it's very likely that what is being pointed to
                > > > is "Light", the universal desire. And with some reflection,
                > > > the Mullah's pointing makes all the sense in the universe.
                > > >

                > > Hunh. The story you posted doesn't actually mention or suggest "Light" or any such universal desire. Rather, it focuses on "A fine plate of sweets left on the table" which Nasrudin "made all his disciples eat" because, he tells us, the way to conquer desire is to satisfy it.
                > >
                > > Admittedly, however, I'm leaving out the other (at least) 6 ways of reading that story.
                > >
                > > Best,

                > OK - here's some sweets I hope can be well digested:
                >
                > All Nasrudin's disciples were gathered at a feast.
                > They ate and drank for several hours, and talked
                > about the origins of the stars. The night drew on
                > and everyone made ready to go home.
                >
                > B- When you feast with a Sufi master, what you eat and
                > drink are spiritual food, with it's only intention being
                > Being, Attention and Intention. The origins of the stars
                > is Light. Everyone made ready to go home to the light
                > as the night of darkness - ignorance - drew on.
                >
                > A fine plate of sweets was left on the table: Nasrudin
                > made all his disciples eat it.
                >
                > B - The Mullah gave his disciples a fine spiritual sweet -
                > his enLightening teaching
                >
                > One, however, refused.
                >
                > "The master is testing us," he said. "He wants to see
                > whether we can control our desires."
                >
                > B - A non-evolved disciple thought the "meal" was all
                > about human body, mind, emotion stuff.
                >
                > "You are mistaken," replied Nasrudin. "The best way
                > of dominating a desire, is to satisfy it. I would rather
                > you had the sweets in your bellies – their rightful
                > place – than in your minds, which should be filled with
                > nobler things."
                >
                > B - Your turn now to appreciate this sweet treat and
                > find many more ways to digest this feast into
                > inner Light and not just chew on it in your chattering mind.
                >
                > Peace and blessings,
                > Bob

              • WestWindWood
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 5, 2012
                  If we do not eat we will starve to death. If there was no sex, the human race would die out in a generation. Everything in moderation.

                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 5, 2012
                    WestWindWood <westwindwood2003@...> wrote:

                    > If we do not eat we will starve to death. If there was no sex, the human race would die out in a generation. Everything in moderation.

                    Of course Sri Westwingwood is correct - in moderation.
                    Just joking, but semi-serious too. This concept of
                    everything in moderation is not one we have experiential
                    knowledge of, which doesn't make it untrue....or true.
                    Can you murder in moderation? Can a woman be pregnant in
                    moderation, etc. Well, when we truly are in the Tao,
                    Enlightened, Satori, Christ Consciousness, etc, there
                    is no question of moderation. "Surrender" of the duality
                    perspective of "i am here and the rest of the Universe
                    is there" can only be total or not at all. The "Light"
                    that the Sufi's consider our Universal desire is One that
                    removes all darkness....not in moderation.

                    But then again, isn't this concept too only moderately true;
                    perhaps just semantically until it is experiential?

                    In any event, posting these kinds of ideas here brings sweet
                    spiritual foods to the table, and that is very appreciated.
                    And when meditated upon and well digested, provide good and
                    healthy energy to grow on in consciousness....at least moderately.