Words of Wisdom by Swami Satchidananda

    Message 1 of 195 , Mar 17, 2012
      Love Everybody as Your Own Self

      "Once you see the peace and the light within you,
      your perception is changed. You see that peace,
      that light, everywhere. When you see the Atmic
      bliss in you, you don't see anything else outside.
      You see everybody as your own Self. Then, you don't
      even think that you're helping somebody while doing
      something for them. That means that you're doing
      something for your own Self. At that level, you
      become a better, more service-full person. You can
      be useful to the entire humanity in a better way,
      because you love everybody as your own Self. Only when
      that realization comes, can one love in that way.
      Until then, you love as the individual. You are
      So-and-So, he is So-and-So and you're loving him
      as your friend or as somebody. You can't love the
      other person as your own Self if you don't realize
      your own Self within you.

      Inspiration Line

      Hear an inspiration message from Sri Swami Satchidananda
      by calling 434-WOW-GURU. New and improved software
      brings an even better sound quality and more reliable
      system. New message the first of each month. Call and
      be inspired any time and from anywhere you are.
      Message 195 of 195 , Apr 16

        The Right Thing

        How do you know if what you decide to do is the right thing? It's very simple. The right thing will not affect your health and happiness. That's all. Anything that would affect your physical and mental peace, your health and happiness, is wrong. Anything. This might bring another question: "Suppose I want to help somebody who is troubled and that affects me. Should I do it or not?" If you are joyfully serving someone, even going through some pain doesn't affect you. You are still happy; you are simply using a little of your energy to help someone. You can't call that unhappiness.

        Sometimes when you help somebody, you feel depressed. Why is that? It is because you had expectations. "I am helping that person. The person should accept my help and get the benefit." When you don't see that person getting the benefit you expected, you get upset. That means it's not a selfless act, it's a selfish act. "I did something and I want a result."

        That doesn't mean there shouldn't be positive thoughts behind your actions. Certainly send your prayers, think about the welfare of the person. The difference is this: you want him to be happy of course, but you don't demand it. You are not attached to the outcome; you leave that up to God.

        In simple words, I would say an action without any selfish expectation whatsoever is a right action. Such an act will never disturb your mind or body.

        Om Shanti, Om Shanti, Om Shanti

        SwamiSatchidananda