The Wisdom of the Baal Shem Tov

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 14, 2012
      Some students of the Baal Shem Tov* came to him
      one day with a question. "Every year we travel
      here to learn from you. Nothing could make us
      stop doing that. But we have learned of a man
      in our own town who claims to be a tzaddik,
      a righteous one. If he is genuine, we would love
      to profit from his wisdom. But how will we know
      if he is a fake?"

      The Baal Shem Tov looked at his earnest Hasidim.
      "You must test him by asking him a question."
      He paused. "You have had difficulty with stray
      thoughts during prayer?"

      "Yes!" The hasidim answered eagerly. "We try to
      think only of our holy intentions as we pray, but
      other thoughts come into our minds. We have tried
      many methods not to be troubled by them."

      "Good," said the Baal Shem Tov. "Ask him the way
      to stop such thoughts from entering your minds."
      The Baal Shem Tov smiled. "If he has an answer,
      he is a fake."

      *The Baal Shem Tov (1698-1760) is considered to be
      the founder of the Hasidic movement
      permission from the copyright owner.