Re: Question about the Eightfold Path and "catharsis"

    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 23, 2012
      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "walto" <calhorn@...> wrote:

      > Hi, folks.
      >
      > I was wondering if any of the mavens here would
      be willing to provide their thoughts on whether
      they think there's any conflict between the "Right
      Thinking/Right Action/Right Speech" portions of the
      Eightfold Path and conventional views according to
      which it is healthy for unconscious thoughts (even
      angry or mean ones) to be brought to consciousness
      and perhaps even expressed. If some anger is being
      repressed, can it be conducive to well-being to "keep
      it bottled up"? (I take it a Primal Scream isn't
      Right Speech.)

      > Also, is this an empirical question, do you think,
      so that the best way of answering it is to see what
      works (or what has been shown to work in properly
      designed studies), or do you take it rather to be
      something that is deducible from one's view of the
      mind? For example, do you think that the benefits
      of following the Eightfold Path are simply deducible
      from the concept of dependent origination? That is,
      can one agree with the latter without accepting all
      of the former?

      > Any thoughts on these matters are welcome. Thanks!
      >
      > Best,

      Great question! I think that there is a meditative
      tactic that "solves" this by making "Right" action,
      speech, thinking,... everything ... automatic.
      It is found in this technique that the Dalai Lama
      has been said to do every day, and involves witnessing
      your life and reversing inappropriate actions into
      "right" ones when you see them. I hope this is
      beneficial. Similarly, on the post following W's, there
      is another "solution" that comes from the Toltec Path
      as shared by don Juan. Enjoy!

      The Dalai Lama Meditation
      ( http://www.meditationsociety.com/week6.html )

      The Dalai Lama has been acknowledged by Tibetan
      Buddhists to be a reincarnation of the God of
      Compassion and by the world in general to be a
      Nobel Peace Prize winner but few know him to be
      a practicing meditator. All his life, he has been
      surrounded by masters of meditation and has been
      initiated into many different techniques. It is
      therefore appropriate that we pay attention when
      he points out one method so valuable that he does it everyday:

      Remember when you were a kid and they often had
      cartoons where someone had a devil on one shoulder
      and an angel on the other and they were whispering
      into an ear -- one encouraging doing "bad" and
      one doing "good". In a way, that's the basis of
      the Dalai Lama Meditation technique.

      Sit quietly, calmly with eyes closed, as relaxed yet
      aware as you can be. Visualize yourself on the left
      side of your minds eye as you would appear to yourself
      and others in a moment of impatience. Really see
      this inner vision. Watch your face, observe your
      body language. What does your impatient self look
      like? On the right side of your minds eye, see yourself
      when you are very patient. What do you look like when
      you have a lifetime of time. As tense as you appeared
      on the left as your impatient self, see yourself as
      relaxed in your patience on the right. Now on the
      left side, see yourself as you appear when you're
      depressed. Look carefully. How does that make you
      feel? Can you be aware of the aura of doom and gloom
      you're radiating? And then, on the right side of your
      minds eye, see yourself as you are when you're joyous.
      Merge with that happiness. Know how others would see you.

      Continue seeing all the seemingly negative feelings
      and behaviors on the inner left-hand side of your
      minds eye and the opposite on the right. On the left,
      see yourself as jealous and on the right as how you
      appear when you are truly glad for someone else's
      sucess or happiness. On the left, see the bigoted
      you and on the right, the all-embracing. On the left
      the mean, on the right the sweet. See the stupid you
      and the brilliant. See the clumsy and the graceful.
      On the left, see the unsatisfied and on the right,
      the contented.

      Go on and on, becoming familiar with the "you" on
      the left and the opposite "you" on the right. Then
      see the total "you" who would be there on the left
      if none of the characteristics of the right side
      were present. Now see the "you" who would be the
      totality of yourself with the right side only if
      none of the behaviors and feelings of the left side
      "you" had ever appeared.

      The Dalai Lama tells us that there is nothing else
      necessary because just by seeing your negative
      left-side self, you will become so disgusted with
      yourself when you witness yourself acting in any
      of the left side ways that you will automatically
      cease any of those actions and start doing and
      feeling the right-side actions. Eventually, you
      will become the right-side you exclusively. Eventually,
      you will have peace, compassion, wisdom, good health,
      patience, and all the other glorious aspects of life.

      This technique has the potential to change your
      life profoundly for the better. It is one of the
      best antidotes for negativity. It is consistent
      with his unlimited compassion that the Dalai Lama
      has shared it with us.
    • walto
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 23, 2012
        Thanks, Bob.

> [...]
        > totality of yourself with the right side only if
        > none of the behaviors and feelings of the left side
        > "you" had ever appeared.
        >
        > The Dalai Lama tells us that there is nothing else
        > necessary because just by seeing your negative
        > left-side self, you will become so disgusted with
        > yourself when you witness yourself acting in any
        > of the left side ways that you will automatically
        > cease any of those actions and start doing and
        > feeling the right-side actions. Eventually, you
        > will become the right-side you exclusively. Eventually,
        > you will have peace, compassion, wisdom, good health,
        > patience, and all the other glorious aspects of life.
        >
        > This technique has the potential to change your
        > life profoundly for the better. It is one of the
        > best antidotes for negativity. It is consistent
        > with his unlimited compassion that the Dalai Lama

      • Aideen Mckenna
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 23, 2012

          The way I understand Buddhism, there is never repression.  The Buddha understood how the human mind worked.  Driving an unwelcome emotion deeper into the unconscious only results in giving the troublesome thing more strength.  When practicing Vipassana (insight meditation), one observes the thought, giving it “bare attention”(i.e. touching the mind as lightly as a bubble on the observed thought), then moving on.  There’s never any pushing away – that only empowers the thought.  Bhante Henepola Gunaratana’s classic Mindfulness in Plain English is helpful here.

          As for the concept of dependent origination – can one agree with it without accepting all of the Eightfold Path?  I don’t think so – at least not from the point of view of Theravada Buddhism.  If I were asking that question, I’d go to the excellent Barbara O’Brien – she can be contacted here:

          http://buddhism.about.com/bio/Barbara-O-Brien-38125.htm

          With metta,

          Aideen

          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 23, 2012
            Thanks, Aideen.

            One of the things I was wondering about was the apparently very large gulf between giving something "bare attention" and really living/working through it (perhaps for purposes 'abreaction' or 'sublimation'). I mean, is there a Buddhist notion of catharsis?

            --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Aideen Mckenna" <aideenmck@...> wrote:

            > The way I understand Buddhism, there is never repression. The Buddha
            > understood how the human mind worked. Driving an unwelcome emotion deeper
            > into the unconscious only results in giving the troublesome thing more
            > strength. When practicing Vipassana (insight meditation), one observes the
            > thought, giving it "bare attention"(i.e. touching the mind as lightly as a
            > bubble on the observed thought), then moving on. There's never any pushing
            > away - that only empowers the thought. Bhante Henepola Gunaratana's classic
            > Mindfulness in Plain English is helpful here.
            >
            > As for the concept of dependent origination - can one agree with it without
            > accepting all of the Eightfold Path? I don't think so - at least not from
            > the point of view of Theravada Buddhism. If I were asking that question,
            > I'd go to the excellent Barbara O'Brien - she can be contacted here:
            >

            > http://buddhism.about.com/bio/Barbara-O-Brien-38125.htm
            >

            > With metta,
            >
            > Aideen

          • sean tremblay
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 24, 2012
              I am reminded of some of the teachings of Islam, when they mention not to supress your feelings, but simply do not act on them, just allow them to pass though you.

              One of the things I was wondering about was the apparently very large gulf between giving something "bare attention" and really living/working through it (perhaps for purposes 'abreaction' or 'sublimation'). I mean, is there a Buddhist notion of catharsis?

              --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Aideen Mckenna" <aideenmck@...> wrote:

              > The way I understand Buddhism, there is never repression. The Buddha
              > understood how the human mind worked. Driving an unwelcome emotion deeper
              > into the unconscious only results in giving the troublesome thing more
              > strength. When practicing Vipassana (insight meditation), one observes the
              > thought, giving it "bare attention"(i.e. touching the mind as lightly as a
              > bubble on the observed thought), then moving on. There's never any pushing
              > away - that only empowers the thought. Bhante Henepola Gunaratana's classic
              > Mindfulness in Plain English is helpful here.
              >
              > As for the concept of dependent origination - can one agree with it without
              > accepting all of the Eightfold Path? I don't think so - at least not from
              > the point of view of Theravada Buddhism. If I were asking that question,
              > I'd go to the excellent Barbara O'Brien - she can be contacted here:
              >

              > http://buddhism.about.com/bio/Barbara-O-Brien-38125.htm
              >

              > With metta,
              >
              > Aideen

            • walto
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 24, 2012
                Thanks, Sean!

                --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, sean tremblay <bethjams9@...> wrote:

                > I am reminded of some of the teachings of Islam, when they mention not to supress your feelings, but simply do not act on them, just allow them to pass though you.
                >

                > ________________________________

              • Aideen Mckenna
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 24, 2012

                  One acknowledges the feeling but does not act on it.  On one occasion, the Vietnamese monk Thich Nhat Hanh was giving a lecture in the US during the Viet Nam war.  The spiritual leader had gone through extremely difficult years during the war in Viet Nam, where he founded a relief organization.  With that group, he rebuilt bombed villages, resettled the families made homeless by the bombings, set up schools & medical centres, etc.  Then he went to the US where he met with Dr. Martin Luther King & urged him to ask the American people to influence their government to stop the destruction & carnage.  During the lecture’s question period, someone spoke very angrily, saying, in effect: “If you care so much about your country, what are you doing here in the safety of the US while your people are suffering & dying?”  Apparently the monk was silent for a few moments, after which he answered calmly, without anger.  When asked later about whether the question hadn’t angered him, he said it had enraged him.  During the brief silence, he had had to do  the hardest work he’d ever done in his life calming himself with a breathing exercise.  He said he had nearly passed out during that pause.  He hadn’t suppressed it, he confronted the feeling & dealt with it, leaving no residue, no impulse to scream at the questioner.

                  According to Buddhism, the “kleshas” (negative afflictions) cannot be overcome by acting them out.  Although they are never displayed, they are patiently rooted out by painstakingly thorough mental observation as they arise from the unconscious.  It requires great discipline to completely purify the mind, but it can be done.  The internal work involves a deep understanding of “anatta” (no-self) & “anicca” (impermanence).  I guess one can say there is a catharsis, but it’s a gradual one, & it’s final.  Or that there are many catharses, as layer after layer of the poisons (another translation of kleshas) arises from deeper & deeper levels of the unconscious & are removed entirely.

                  That’s my understanding, at any rate.

                  Aideen

                  > I am reminded of some of the teachings of Islam, when they mention not to supress your feelings, but simply do not act on them, just allow them to pass though you.
                  >

                  > ________________________________

                • walto
                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 24, 2012
                    Thanks again, Aideen. That's really interesting--if you could suggest some literature on Buddhist takes regarding the unconscious, I'd be interested. The two things I've come across are a book by de Silva on Buddhism and Freudianism and _Contexts and Dialogue_, by Tao Jiang.

                    Best,

                  • meditationsource
                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 24, 2012
                      W, why don't you try abreaction or sublimation and do it as mindfully as possible to see what benefits it might bring? Then you can know what approach is most suitable based on your own experience. Observing negative thoughts without acting on them is the purist approach, but if it's not leading to their subsiding, maybe there's some bad karma associated with acting them out that needs to be addressed. Good luck.

                    • Aideen Mckenna
                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 24, 2012

                        I’m certainly no “maven” in this (or any other) field, but I think you’d be interested in An Introduction to Buddhist Psychology (2005).  It’s by Padmasiri de Silva as well.  I’ve only dipped into it lightly.

                        A.

                        Thanks again, Aideen. That's really interesting--if you could suggest some literature on Buddhist takes regarding the unconscious, I'd be interested. The two things I've come across are a book by de Silva on Buddhism and Freudianism and _Contexts and Dialogue_, by Tao Jiang.

                        Best,

                        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Aideen Mckenna" <aideenmck@...> wrote:

                        > One acknowledges the feeling but does not act on it. On one occasion, the
                        > Vietnamese monk Thich Nhat Hanh was giving a lecture in the US during the
                        > Viet Nam war. The spiritual leader had gone through extremely difficult
                        > years during the war in Viet Nam, where he founded a relief organization.
                        > With that group, he rebuilt bombed villages, resettled the families made
                        > homeless by the bombings, set up schools & medical centres, etc. Then he
                        > went to the US where he met with Dr. Martin Luther King & urged him to ask
                        > the American people to influence their government to stop the destruction &
                        > carnage. During the lecture's question period, someone spoke very angrily,
                        > saying, in effect: "If you care so much about your country, what are you
                        > doing here in the safety of the US while your people are suffering & dying?"
                        > Apparently the monk was silent for a few moments, after which he answered
                        > calmly, without anger. When asked later about whether the question hadn't
                        > angered him, he said it had enraged him. During the brief silence, he had
                        > had to do the hardest work he'd ever done in his life calming himself with
                        > a breathing exercise. He said he had nearly passed out during that pause.
                        > He hadn't suppressed it, he confronted the feeling & dealt with it, leaving
                        > no residue, no impulse to scream at the questioner.
                        >
                        > According to Buddhism, the "kleshas" (negative afflictions) cannot be
                        > overcome by acting them out. Although they are never displayed, they are
                        > patiently rooted out by painstakingly thorough mental observation as they
                        > arise from the unconscious. It requires great discipline to completely
                        > purify the mind, but it can be done. The internal work involves a deep
                        > understanding of "anatta" (no-self) & "anicca" (impermanence). I guess one
                        > can say there is a catharsis, but it's a gradual one, & it's final. Or that
                        > there are many catharses, as layer after layer of the poisons (another
                        > translation of kleshas) arises from deeper & deeper levels of the
                        > unconscious & are removed entirely.
                        >
                        > That's my understanding, at any rate.
                        >
                        > Aideen

                      • walto
                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 25, 2012
                          Thanks again, guys!

                          But...Bob--I'm curious. What has made you guess that these angry/negative thoughts that need releasing are...my own??

                          ;>}

                          Message 12 of 16 , Feb 25, 2012
                            --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "walto" <calhorn@...> wrote:

                            > Thanks again, guys!
                            >
                            > But...Bob--I'm curious. What has made you guess that these angry/negative thoughts that need releasing are...my own??
                            >
                            > ;>}

                            Yo W,

                            The ancient teachings of the Kabbalah has a sort of
                            "answer" found in Sefer Yetsirah that goes:

                            "If your mind races, return to the place," IE: return
                            to where you were before the thought. Return to the
                            site of oneness.

                            And the Kabbalah teaching of the concept of Aloneness
                            points to you, me, everyone,...everything... as Alone,
                            One, not two, just as all Religions/Realizations do.
                            So....if my mind has "...these angry/negative thoughts
                            that need releasing"...so does yours....as we are truly
                            Alone.
                            PS: That's why the Rasta's never say "you and me", but
                            rather "I and I", and usually "I and I and I", with the
                            I in the middle being Jah.

                          • Arya
                            Message 13 of 16 , Feb 25, 2012
                              Big question arises What is right thinking/right action/right speech !
                              Can we look into whether right thinking/action/speech to be dependent on logical thinking/religious/scientific etc

                              Message 14 of 16 , Feb 26, 2012
                                In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Arya" <ranand61@...> wrote:

                                > Big question arises What is right thinking/right action/right speech !
                                > Can we look into whether right thinking/action/speech to be dependent on logical thinking/religious/scientific etc

                                Yo Arya,
                                Perhaps right thinking/action/speech could be thought
                                about logically, religiously, scientifically, etc.
                                But "IT" comes perfectly well spontaneously in Silence.

                                > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "walto" <calhorn@> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Hi, folks.
                                > >
                                > > I was wondering if any of the mavens here would be willing to provide their thoughts on whether they think there's any conflict between the "Right Thinking/Right Action/Right Speech" portions of the Eightfold Path and conventional views according to which it is healthy for unconscious thoughts (even angry or mean ones) to be brought to consciousness and perhaps even expressed. If some anger is being repressed, can it be conducive to well-being to "keep it bottled up"? (I take it a Primal Scream isn't Right Speech.)
                                > >
                                > > Also, is this an empirical question, do you think, so that the best way of answering it is to see what works (or what has been shown to work in properly designed studies), or do you take it rather to be something that is deducible from one's view of the mind? For example, do you think that the benefits of following the Eightfold Path are simply deducible from the concept of dependent origination? That is, can one agree with the latter without accepting all of the former?
                                > >
                                > > Any thoughts on these matters are welcome. Thanks!
                                > >
                                > > Best,

                              • Aideen Mckenna
                                Message 15 of 16 , Feb 27, 2012

                                  For Right Speech:

                                  http://buddhism.about.com/od/theeightfoldpath/a/rightspeech.htm

                                  For the rest of the eightfold path, see links within the one above.  And of course, it all hinges on meditation.