Re: J. Krishnamurti on Meditation

  • dan330033
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 11, 2012
      > We are going to enquire into what is the
      > meditation, not how to meditate. You have
      > asked, `Tell me how to meditate', which is
      > to give you a system, a method, a practice.
      > Do you know what practising every day does
      > to your brain? Your brain becomes dull, mechanical,
      > it is tortured, making effort to achieve some
      > silence, some state of experience. That is not
      > meditation. That is just another form of achievement
      > like a politician becoming a minister. In your
      > meditation, you want to achieve illumination,
      > silence. It is the same pattern repeated; only,
      > you call it religious and the other calls it
      > political achievement. There is not much difference.
      > What is meditation, what does that word mean?
      > If you look up the dictionary, you'll find it
      > means to ponder over, to be able to think clearly,
      > not with confusion, not with personal objectives,
      > but clearly, to think. It needs clarity.
      > Meditation also means measurement, to measure.
      > We are always measuring, which is comparing -
      > I am this, I will be that, I will be better -
      > which is a form of measurement. The word `better'
      > is measurement. To compare yourself with another
      > is a measurement. When you tell your son or
      > somebody that you must be like your elder brother,
      > that is measurement. We live by measurement; we
      > always compare. That is a fact. Our brain is
      > conditioned to measure - I am this today, I hope
      > I will be different in a year's time, not physically but psychologically. That is a measurement.
      > Now, to live without measurement, to be totally,
      > completely, free of all measurement, is part of
      > meditation. Not that `I am practising this, I
      > will achieve something in a year's time.' That
      > is measurement which is the very nature of one's
      > egotistic activity. In schools we compare, in
      > universities we compare. We compare ourselves
      > with somebody who is more intelligent, more beautiful
      > physically - there is this constant measurement
      > going on. Either you know it consciously or you
      > are not aware of this movement of measurement.
      > Meditation is the ending of measurement, ending
      > of comparison, completely. See what is implied in
      > it - that there is no psychological mark. Tomorrow
      > is the measurement of what is in time. Do you
      > understand this? So measurement, comparison, and
      > the action of will must end completely. There is
      > no action of will in meditation. Every form, every
      > system, of meditation is an activity of the will.
      > What is will? I will meditate, I will sit down
      > quietly, control myself, narrow down my thoughts
      > and practise - all that is the action of desire,
      > which is the essence of will. In meditation there
      > is no activity of the will. Do you understand the
      > beauty of all this? When there is no measurement,
      > no comparison, no achieving or becoming, there is
      > the silence of the negation of the self. There is
      > no self in meditation. So a mind, a brain, that
      > is in the act of meditation is whole. The whole
      > of life is meditation, not one period of meditation
> [...]

      Well-said, JK.

      Although, not necessary to bring in "sacred" after having disposed of comparison ...

      No need to tell a seeker what to expect to find at "that point" ...

      An expectation to find what is absolutely sacred just starts the whole rigmarole again.

      Back to the top, reading one more time ...

      The brain conditioning itself with words yet again ...

      - D -