Re: [Meditation Society of America] Meditation and Non-Duality

  • Sandeep
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 11, 2012
      Hi Bob,

      Very pertinent and succinct.
      Some comments in-between as below.

      On 09-02-2012 08:39, medit8ionsociety wrote:

      It is fashionable by so-called Realized Ones to say that there is nothing to do, and no effort you can make to gain the state of Enlightenment/Cosmic Consciousness/Realization, etc. (whatever you
      want to call "IT"), because that already is the reality.

      Yes...........IT, reality, Bliss, Source, this-that-is, that-which-is, or Bozo.........is already is.

      Which does not exclude anything that gets to be done, or anything that gets to be desisted to be done.

      There is nothing to be done and everything gets done.

      Including the appearance of a sense of investment in and with the doing(whatever that might be)........a sense of investment, which is the hope that the doing will lead to whatever has been conceived by that very sense of investment.

      In and as reality............. such a drama ............also appears................. to appear, persist........and in some instances, ceases.

      Assertion of something and aversion of that same thing............are one and the same.

      It is just a matter of experience and realizing the Truth. And this comes about unbidden and unprecedented by any cause and effect.

      If it is to "come about"...............whether causal or acausal.........first of all........the lack is to be apriori established.

      For a lack to be established a referencing/defining is to be established.

      With a referencing/defining.........the entirety of the known comes into creative play.

      For there is no referencing or defining........of that which is not in the domain of the known.

      Even the terms "unknown" or "unknowable"............needs the anchor of the known...........for them to have a meaning.........and thus are only modifications of the known.

      But yet there is a multi-thousand year old tradition that says that meditation is a valuable tool and has preceded their Enlightenment by virtually every
      Realized One. So, if there is nothing to do and no effort necessary, what's the deal with this?

      Meditation( in its real form, not the cock and bull stuff that is much bandied about these days, whether in physical space or cyber space) is indeed a valuable tool.

      For defined values.

      For example a prevailing and persisting sense of dis-ease, disturbance, losing anchor, psychosis............and their attendant physical/mental/emotional effects in the body mind biological object.......are indeed adequately and satisfactorily addressed through the ancient techniques that have emerged over thousand of years.

      The Witness factor

      Reality can only take place NOW, so any event that doesn't take place in the now can be excluded in any discussion about reality. As an example,
      most people spend about 99% of their mental time fantasizing about the future or rehashing the past, so all of these thoughts have nothing to do with
      reality.

      The fantasizing of a future..........is happening now.
      The re-hashing of a past is happening now.

      nnb

      Similarly, because of how we are wired neurologically, all sense data we receive is always late in arriving, and thus can't be relied on to give us a true picture of the now/reality. For
      instance, as you read these words, the image of the words that are on the page take time to reach your eye, and then the image is sent along your vision nerve path and transmitted to various parts
      of your brain where their significance is received, analyzed as to relevance, and stored. This takes time, and just as when we see stars in the sky and are told that their light has taken many years to
      reach us, all visual images have also taken time, and what we see is actually what has past, and not what is. This is also the same for what we hear,
      taste, smell, and touch. Similarly, our emotions and thoughts are merely reactive messages from the past.

      There is only one constant thing that has always been operating in the present for our entire life, and it is still available to us now. When we were babies, we would and could look out at the world
      without the comparisons, judgments and commentary that we now do. The "tool" we used is our inner Witness. And the potential to use it is ever available. But this option has been buried under uncountable
      physical, emotional, and mental habitual reactivity patterns. This Witness is what can observe our physical, emotional, and mental activity at any time.

      Here's a little exercise that demonstrates first hand what we are discussing….. Which nostril is inhaling more air right now? There is no answer per se, and it isn't a matter of right or left.
      What we want to recognize is the "thing" that can see the distinction. This is your inner Witness.
      It can also see what you are feeling emotionally in this now. What are you feeling? Now be in contact with your inner Witness and for a moment watch what thoughts are flowing by. See?! There is nothing
      closer to you than THIS. But how often are you in touch with IT? Well, here's where meditation comes into IT.

      Meditation and Witnessing

      There is nothing better than meditation for placing you in the Witness position, and this is where you must be to experience your life as it takes place in a real way. When there, the world is known as
      a non-dual experience, and when not in the "living life as it takes place now Witness posture", life and reality always appear as dualistic. Here's how IT works….

      Part of the process of Meditation involves concentration. This is done by intently and intensely placing all of one's attention on one focal point. There may then be some distractions, but the meditator simply goes back to refocusing their attention on the object of meditation (which could be the breath, the environment, a word or phrase said repeatedly, a visual item…
      whatever). And at some point the concentration is so complete that distractions cease, all effort stops, and meditation simply and effortlessly comes to the
      practitioner. Here the underlying reality of unity that is the nature of all and everything is presented in the present, as the greatest of all presents, to the meditator. And life as it is becomes an experience
      and not just a concept. The illusionary separation of "me and the rest of the universe" fades away much like what happens when we go to the theater and a movie ends and `real life' begins again. And knowledge
      of the truth that our inner Witness is in fact the Witness of all creation is known experientially.
      To some, this may involve being thrust outside of the limits of the mind and senses and the visual, tactile, sonic, intellectual, and so on, fields open to the reality of our eternal atomic and pre-atomic nature,
      as well as to our transcendent of the physical body, Earth, solar system, galactic, universal and trans-universal connectivity. And realization that there is and always has been an infinite consciousness
      peering through our, and everyone and everything's, figurative eyes witnessing all of creation eternally as singular, non-dual, and characterized as Love, Truth, Consciousness and Bliss.

      But is this, or any other experience that can be described in words necessarily a part of the non-dual event? No! As that famous idiom of Biblical sounding
      mere words puts it "To each his own." is the actual case.

      Meditation as a Way

      There cannot be any antecedent for what has always been, is, and will always be. So in fact neither meditation, prayer, service, good deeds, nor any other actions can be labeled as a point A that will
      lead you to point B, which in this case we can label Enlightenment inclusive of a non-dual experiential nature. But there is much anecdotal evidence (yes, this is fantasy in a sense, as well as anything and
      any concept is) that the vast majority of Realized One's have been meditators at some point in their life, and it can be surmised that in a way this did prepare them in a way much like what a farmer does when they
      plant a crop. It removed the weeds and other impurities, and prepared the soil to give the seeds the best chance possible for the miracle of life and growth to occur.
      But, as it is with farming, the eventual birth and growth of sweet fruit can only take place by Grace.

      So, should we Meditate or not relative to non-duality?

      Yes.

    • Bruce Morgen
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 11, 2012
        On 2/11/2012 5:29 AM, Sandeep wrote:
        Hi Bob,

        Very pertinent and succinct.
        Some comments in-between as below.

        On 09-02-2012 08:39, medit8ionsociety wrote:
         [snip]

        The Witness factor

        Reality can only take place NOW, so any event that doesn't take place in the now can be excluded in any discussion about reality. As an example,
        most people spend about 99% of their mental time fantasizing about the future or rehashing the past, so all of these thoughts have nothing to do with
        reality.

        The fantasizing of a future..........is happening now.
        The re-hashing of a past is happening now.

        Ergo fantasizing and re-hashing
        are real, while a future and a
        past are imaginary.  In fact, the
        fantasizing of a future is
        essentially yet another re-
        hashing of the past, because
        memories (rather unreliably
        stored data and images) by
        definition reference the past,
        and memories are all the
        fantasizer (aka "thought") has to
        work with.                :-)

        [snip]

      • Sandeep
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 11, 2012
          On 12-02-2012 04:15, Bruce Morgen wrote:

          On 2/11/2012 5:29 AM, Sandeep wrote:

          Hi Bob,

          Very pertinent and succinct.
          Some comments in-between as below.

          On 09-02-2012 08:39, medit8ionsociety wrote:
           [snip]

          The Witness factor

          Reality can only take place NOW, so any event that doesn't take place in the now can be excluded in any discussion about reality. As an example,
          most people spend about 99% of their mental time fantasizing about the future or rehashing the past, so all of these thoughts have nothing to do with
          reality.

          The fantasizing of a future..........is happening now.
          The re-hashing of a past is happening now.

          Ergo fantasizing and re-hashing
          are real,

          The act of fantasizing and re-hashing.........also........as-if.

          while a future and a
          past are imaginary.  In fact, the
          fantasizing of a future is
          essentially yet another re-
          hashing of the past, because
          memories (rather unreliably
          stored data and images) by
          definition reference the past,
          and memories are all the
          fantasizer (aka "thought") has to
          work with.

          Indeed.

          The future is only a modification.......... a reactive creativity........ of the past.