Re: Meditation and Non-Duality

  • dan330033
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 9, 2012

      > It is fashionable by so-called Realized Ones
      > to say that there is nothing to do, and no effort
      > you can make to gain the state of Enlightenment/Cosmic Consciousness/Realization, etc. (whatever you
      > want to call "IT"), because that already is the
      > reality. It is just a matter of experience and
      > realizing the Truth. And this comes about unbidden
      > and unprecedented by any cause and effect. But yet
      > there is a multi-thousand year old tradition that
      > says that meditation is a valuable tool and has
      > preceded their Enlightenment by virtually every
      > Realized One. So, if there is nothing to do and
      > no effort necessary, what's the deal with this?

      D: Good point, Bob. So, here's a response to "what's the deal with this?"

      The deal is that there is a gulf of a trillion miles between saying the words/having the idea - and the actuality of what it is to *be* this "doing-nothing Reality" ...

      Saying the words, "Realization is doing nothing" is doing something.

      Believing the words, is doing something.

      Any believing or speaking is a doing.

      To say, "one is doing nothing" is misunderstood, because the words are taken for the actuality - and a person believes something has been understood and some kind of realization took place.

      To actually "BE - doing nothing" is beyond categories - including categories like being/not being - or doing/not doing.

      Having a reference to any category is a doing.

      By "doing" is meant: any sense of a doer, a haver, a knower, an existence for one who does, who has, who knows ...

      Anywhere!

      So, this is easily misinterpreted in a personal way: Joe Blow realized that there is no do-er. But to have any sensation, feeling, knowledge of being Joe Blow realizing something - is a doing.

      Thus, Buddha said, "this is nirvana" (i.e., a candle flame is snuffed)

      Seeing this - there is nothing "wrong" about any perceived action - including meditating, praying, chanting, singing, playing music, painting, making knives, teaching, speaking, swimming.

      All actions are perceived.

      There is no separately existing perceiver of it.

      So, meditating isn't to get you to a special state - because any special state would be a transitory perceiving, not inclusive of all perceiving.

      Meditating is an action perceived as it occurs.

      There isn't any action being perceived anywhere, that isn't to happen exactly at that apparent moment of time/space.

      Meditation is defined in different ways.

      One way to define it: being present. nothing to say or do. no separately existing perceiver. noticing what is, in simple being. for example, noticing breathing as it occurs - choicelessly. not by trying to have a special experience of what it's like to notice breathing.

      This awareness is present whether meditating, or non-meditating.

      Realization that is this *being aware*, regardless of what activity occurs, is called by some Tibetans: non-meditation. Yet, they include meditation as a key art in their way of expressing liberation. And they include painting, and drama, and chanting, and music.

      A well-rounded way of expressing - although the Chinese didn't seem to see it like that ...

      I added nothing new below - although I enjoyed the way you answered the question you posed at the end.

      - Dan

    • cosmic_yogi1
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 10, 2012
        Yo,

        Thanks for the glimpse of Reality Dan.

        ONE

        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "dan330033" <dan330033@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > > meditation, prayer, service, good deeds, nor any
        > > other actions can be labeled as a point A that will
        > > lead you to point B, which in this case we can label
        > > Enlightenment inclusive of a non-dual experiential
        > > nature. But there is much anecdotal evidence (yes,
        > > this is fantasy in a sense, as well as anything and
        > > any concept is) that the vast majority of Realized
        > > One's have been meditators at some point in their life,
        > > and it can be surmised that in a way this did prepare
        > > them in a way much like what a farmer does when they
        > > plant a crop. It removed the weeds and other impurities,
        > > and prepared the soil to give the seeds the best chance
        > > possible for the miracle of life and growth to occur.
        > > But, as it is with farming, the eventual birth and
        > > growth of sweet fruit can only take place by Grace.
        > >
        > > So, should we Meditate or not relative to non-duality?

      • walto
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 10, 2012
          Nice post, Bob.

          I look at it this way: meditation is in some ways like physical exercise, and it can be evaluated by its fruits. It shouldn't be thought of as entailing any sort of propositional claim at all (any more than doing push-ups entails evolutionary theory). Any claimed implications of that kind involve theoretical claims--and all such claims may be right or wrong.

          But meditation, like food, doesn't make any claims at all. It doesn't need to be made to fit into this theory or that. On the contrary, the theories (dual, non-dual, septuple, theistic, atheistic, whatever), if we will be moved by them, will need to be able to explain meditation's efficacy.

          Best,

> [...]
          > meditation, prayer, service, good deeds, nor any
          > other actions can be labeled as a point A that will
          > lead you to point B, which in this case we can label
          > Enlightenment inclusive of a non-dual experiential
          > nature. But there is much anecdotal evidence (yes,
          > this is fantasy in a sense, as well as anything and
          > any concept is) that the vast majority of Realized
          > One's have been meditators at some point in their life,
          > and it can be surmised that in a way this did prepare
          > them in a way much like what a farmer does when they
          > plant a crop. It removed the weeds and other impurities,
          > and prepared the soil to give the seeds the best chance
          > possible for the miracle of life and growth to occur.
          > But, as it is with farming, the eventual birth and
          > growth of sweet fruit can only take place by Grace.
          >
          > So, should we Meditate or not relative to non-duality?

        • Sandeep
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 11, 2012
            Hi Bob,

            Very pertinent and succinct.
            Some comments in-between as below.

            On 09-02-2012 08:39, medit8ionsociety wrote:

            It is fashionable by so-called Realized Ones to say that there is nothing to do, and no effort you can make to gain the state of Enlightenment/Cosmic Consciousness/Realization, etc. (whatever you
            want to call "IT"), because that already is the reality.

            Yes...........IT, reality, Bliss, Source, this-that-is, that-which-is, or Bozo.........is already is.

            Which does not exclude anything that gets to be done, or anything that gets to be desisted to be done.

            There is nothing to be done and everything gets done.

            Including the appearance of a sense of investment in and with the doing(whatever that might be)........a sense of investment, which is the hope that the doing will lead to whatever has been conceived by that very sense of investment.

            In and as reality............. such a drama ............also appears................. to appear, persist........and in some instances, ceases.

            Assertion of something and aversion of that same thing............are one and the same.

            It is just a matter of experience and realizing the Truth. And this comes about unbidden and unprecedented by any cause and effect.

            If it is to "come about"...............whether causal or acausal.........first of all........the lack is to be apriori established.

            For a lack to be established a referencing/defining is to be established.

            With a referencing/defining.........the entirety of the known comes into creative play.

            For there is no referencing or defining........of that which is not in the domain of the known.

            Even the terms "unknown" or "unknowable"............needs the anchor of the known...........for them to have a meaning.........and thus are only modifications of the known.

            But yet there is a multi-thousand year old tradition that says that meditation is a valuable tool and has preceded their Enlightenment by virtually every
            Realized One. So, if there is nothing to do and no effort necessary, what's the deal with this?

            Meditation( in its real form, not the cock and bull stuff that is much bandied about these days, whether in physical space or cyber space) is indeed a valuable tool.

            For defined values.

            For example a prevailing and persisting sense of dis-ease, disturbance, losing anchor, psychosis............and their attendant physical/mental/emotional effects in the body mind biological object.......are indeed adequately and satisfactorily addressed through the ancient techniques that have emerged over thousand of years.

            The Witness factor

            Reality can only take place NOW, so any event that doesn't take place in the now can be excluded in any discussion about reality. As an example,
            most people spend about 99% of their mental time fantasizing about the future or rehashing the past, so all of these thoughts have nothing to do with
            reality.

            The fantasizing of a future..........is happening now.
            The re-hashing of a past is happening now.

            nnb

[...]

          • Bruce Morgen
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 11, 2012
              On 2/11/2012 5:29 AM, Sandeep wrote:
              Hi Bob,

              Very pertinent and succinct.
              Some comments in-between as below.

              On 09-02-2012 08:39, medit8ionsociety wrote:
               [snip]

              The Witness factor

              Reality can only take place NOW, so any event that doesn't take place in the now can be excluded in any discussion about reality. As an example,
              most people spend about 99% of their mental time fantasizing about the future or rehashing the past, so all of these thoughts have nothing to do with
              reality.

              The fantasizing of a future..........is happening now.
              The re-hashing of a past is happening now.

              Ergo fantasizing and re-hashing
              are real, while a future and a
              past are imaginary.  In fact, the
              fantasizing of a future is
              essentially yet another re-
              hashing of the past, because
              memories (rather unreliably
              stored data and images) by
              definition reference the past,
              and memories are all the
              fantasizer (aka "thought") has to
              work with.                :-)

              [snip]

            • Sandeep
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 11, 2012
                On 12-02-2012 04:15, Bruce Morgen wrote:

                On 2/11/2012 5:29 AM, Sandeep wrote:

                Hi Bob,

                Very pertinent and succinct.
                Some comments in-between as below.

                On 09-02-2012 08:39, medit8ionsociety wrote:
                 [snip]

                The Witness factor

                Reality can only take place NOW, so any event that doesn't take place in the now can be excluded in any discussion about reality. As an example,
                most people spend about 99% of their mental time fantasizing about the future or rehashing the past, so all of these thoughts have nothing to do with
                reality.

                The fantasizing of a future..........is happening now.
                The re-hashing of a past is happening now.

                Ergo fantasizing and re-hashing
                are real,

                The act of fantasizing and re-hashing.........also........as-if.

                while a future and a
                past are imaginary.  In fact, the
                fantasizing of a future is
                essentially yet another re-
                hashing of the past, because
                memories (rather unreliably
                stored data and images) by
                definition reference the past,
                and memories are all the
                fantasizer (aka "thought") has to
                work with.

                Indeed.

                The future is only a modification.......... a reactive creativity........ of the past.