Meditation and Non-Duality

    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 8, 2012
      It is fashionable by so-called Realized Ones
      to say that there is nothing to do, and no effort
      you can make to gain the state of Enlightenment/Cosmic Consciousness/Realization, etc. (whatever you
      want to call "IT"), because that already is the
      reality. It is just a matter of experience and
      realizing the Truth. And this comes about unbidden
      and unprecedented by any cause and effect. But yet
      there is a multi-thousand year old tradition that
      says that meditation is a valuable tool and has
      preceded their Enlightenment by virtually every
      Realized One. So, if there is nothing to do and
      no effort necessary, what's the deal with this?

      The Witness factor

      Reality can only take place NOW, so any event
      that doesn't take place in the now can be excluded
      in any discussion about reality. As an example,
      most people spend about 99% of their mental time
      fantasizing about the future or rehashing the past,
      so all of these thoughts have nothing to do with
      reality. Similarly, because of how we are wired
      neurologically, all sense data we receive is always
      late in arriving, and thus can't be relied on to
      give us a true picture of the now/reality. For
      instance, as you read these words, the image of
      the words that are on the page take time to reach
      your eye, and then the image is sent along your
      vision nerve path and transmitted to various parts
      of your brain where their significance is received,
      analyzed as to relevance, and stored. This takes
      time, and just as when we see stars in the sky and
      are told that their light has taken many years to
      reach us, all visual images have also taken time,
      and what we see is actually what has past, and not
      what is. This is also the same for what we hear,
      taste, smell, and touch. Similarly, our emotions
      and thoughts are merely reactive messages from the past.

      There is only one constant thing that has always
      been operating in the present for our entire life,
      and it is still available to us now. When we were
      babies, we would and could look out at the world
      without the comparisons, judgments and commentary
      that we now do. The "tool" we used is our inner
      Witness. And the potential to use it is ever available.
      But this option has been buried under uncountable
      physical, emotional, and mental habitual reactivity
      patterns. This Witness is what can observe our physical,
      emotional, and mental activity at any time.

      Here's a little exercise that demonstrates first
      hand what we are discussing….. Which nostril is
      inhaling more air right now? There is no answer
      per se, and it isn't a matter of right or left.
      What we want to recognize is the "thing" that can
      see the distinction. This is your inner Witness.
      It can also see what you are feeling emotionally
      in this now. What are you feeling? Now be in contact
      with your inner Witness and for a moment watch what
      thoughts are flowing by. See?! There is nothing
      closer to you than THIS. But how often are you in
      touch with IT? Well, here's where meditation comes into IT.

      Meditation and Witnessing

      There is nothing better than meditation for placing
      you in the Witness position, and this is where you
      must be to experience your life as it takes place
      in a real way. When there, the world is known as
      a non-dual experience, and when not in the "living
      life as it takes place now Witness posture", life
      and reality always appear as dualistic. Here's how IT works….

      Part of the process of Meditation involves concentration.
      This is done by intently and intensely placing all of
      one's attention on one focal point. There may then
      be some distractions, but the meditator simply goes
      back to refocusing their attention on the object of
      meditation (which could be the breath, the environment,
      a word or phrase said repeatedly, a visual item…
      whatever). And at some point the concentration is so
      complete that distractions cease, all effort stops,
      and meditation simply and effortlessly comes to the
      practitioner. Here the underlying reality of unity
      that is the nature of all and everything is presented
      in the present, as the greatest of all presents,
      to the meditator. And life as it is becomes an experience
      and not just a concept. The illusionary separation
      of "me and the rest of the universe" fades away much
      like what happens when we go to the theater and a
      movie ends and `real life' begins again. And knowledge
      of the truth that our inner Witness is in fact the
      Witness of all creation is known experientially.
      To some, this may involve being thrust outside of the
      limits of the mind and senses and the visual, tactile,
      sonic, intellectual, and so on, fields open to the
      reality of our eternal atomic and pre-atomic nature,
      as well as to our transcendent of the physical body,
      Earth, solar system, galactic, universal and
      trans-universal connectivity. And realization that
      there is and always has been an infinite consciousness
      peering through our, and everyone and everything's,
      figurative eyes witnessing all of creation eternally
      as singular, non-dual, and characterized as Love,
      Truth, Consciousness and Bliss.

      But is this, or any other experience that can be
      described in words necessarily a part of the non-dual
      event? No! As that famous idiom of Biblical sounding
      mere words puts it "To each his own." is the actual case.

      Meditation as a Way

      There cannot be any antecedent for what has always
      been, is, and will always be. So in fact neither
      meditation, prayer, service, good deeds, nor any
      other actions can be labeled as a point A that will
      lead you to point B, which in this case we can label
      Enlightenment inclusive of a non-dual experiential
      nature. But there is much anecdotal evidence (yes,
      this is fantasy in a sense, as well as anything and
      any concept is) that the vast majority of Realized
      One's have been meditators at some point in their life,
      and it can be surmised that in a way this did prepare
      them in a way much like what a farmer does when they
      plant a crop. It removed the weeds and other impurities,
      and prepared the soil to give the seeds the best chance
      possible for the miracle of life and growth to occur.
      But, as it is with farming, the eventual birth and
      growth of sweet fruit can only take place by Grace.

      So, should we Meditate or not relative to non-duality?

      Yes.
    • dan330033
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 9, 2012

        > It is fashionable by so-called Realized Ones
        > to say that there is nothing to do, and no effort
        > you can make to gain the state of Enlightenment/Cosmic Consciousness/Realization, etc. (whatever you
        > want to call "IT"), because that already is the
        > reality. It is just a matter of experience and
        > realizing the Truth. And this comes about unbidden
        > and unprecedented by any cause and effect. But yet
        > there is a multi-thousand year old tradition that
        > says that meditation is a valuable tool and has
        > preceded their Enlightenment by virtually every
        > Realized One. So, if there is nothing to do and
        > no effort necessary, what's the deal with this?

        D: Good point, Bob. So, here's a response to "what's the deal with this?"

        The deal is that there is a gulf of a trillion miles between saying the words/having the idea - and the actuality of what it is to *be* this "doing-nothing Reality" ...

        Saying the words, "Realization is doing nothing" is doing something.

        Believing the words, is doing something.

        Any believing or speaking is a doing.

        To say, "one is doing nothing" is misunderstood, because the words are taken for the actuality - and a person believes something has been understood and some kind of realization took place.

        To actually "BE - doing nothing" is beyond categories - including categories like being/not being - or doing/not doing.

        Having a reference to any category is a doing.

        By "doing" is meant: any sense of a doer, a haver, a knower, an existence for one who does, who has, who knows ...

        Anywhere!

        So, this is easily misinterpreted in a personal way: Joe Blow realized that there is no do-er. But to have any sensation, feeling, knowledge of being Joe Blow realizing something - is a doing.

        Thus, Buddha said, "this is nirvana" (i.e., a candle flame is snuffed)

        Seeing this - there is nothing "wrong" about any perceived action - including meditating, praying, chanting, singing, playing music, painting, making knives, teaching, speaking, swimming.

        All actions are perceived.

        There is no separately existing perceiver of it.

        So, meditating isn't to get you to a special state - because any special state would be a transitory perceiving, not inclusive of all perceiving.

        Meditating is an action perceived as it occurs.

        There isn't any action being perceived anywhere, that isn't to happen exactly at that apparent moment of time/space.

        Meditation is defined in different ways.

        One way to define it: being present. nothing to say or do. no separately existing perceiver. noticing what is, in simple being. for example, noticing breathing as it occurs - choicelessly. not by trying to have a special experience of what it's like to notice breathing.

        This awareness is present whether meditating, or non-meditating.

        Realization that is this *being aware*, regardless of what activity occurs, is called by some Tibetans: non-meditation. Yet, they include meditation as a key art in their way of expressing liberation. And they include painting, and drama, and chanting, and music.

        A well-rounded way of expressing - although the Chinese didn't seem to see it like that ...

        I added nothing new below - although I enjoyed the way you answered the question you posed at the end.

        - Dan

      • cosmic_yogi1
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 10, 2012
          Yo,

          Thanks for the glimpse of Reality Dan.

          ONE

          --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "dan330033" <dan330033@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > > meditation, prayer, service, good deeds, nor any
          > > other actions can be labeled as a point A that will
          > > lead you to point B, which in this case we can label
          > > Enlightenment inclusive of a non-dual experiential
          > > nature. But there is much anecdotal evidence (yes,
          > > this is fantasy in a sense, as well as anything and
          > > any concept is) that the vast majority of Realized
          > > One's have been meditators at some point in their life,
          > > and it can be surmised that in a way this did prepare
          > > them in a way much like what a farmer does when they
          > > plant a crop. It removed the weeds and other impurities,
          > > and prepared the soil to give the seeds the best chance
          > > possible for the miracle of life and growth to occur.
          > > But, as it is with farming, the eventual birth and
          > > growth of sweet fruit can only take place by Grace.
          > >
          > > So, should we Meditate or not relative to non-duality?

        • walto
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 10, 2012
            Nice post, Bob.

            I look at it this way: meditation is in some ways like physical exercise, and it can be evaluated by its fruits. It shouldn't be thought of as entailing any sort of propositional claim at all (any more than doing push-ups entails evolutionary theory). Any claimed implications of that kind involve theoretical claims--and all such claims may be right or wrong.

            But meditation, like food, doesn't make any claims at all. It doesn't need to be made to fit into this theory or that. On the contrary, the theories (dual, non-dual, septuple, theistic, atheistic, whatever), if we will be moved by them, will need to be able to explain meditation's efficacy.

            Best,

> [...]
            > meditation, prayer, service, good deeds, nor any
            > other actions can be labeled as a point A that will
            > lead you to point B, which in this case we can label
            > Enlightenment inclusive of a non-dual experiential
            > nature. But there is much anecdotal evidence (yes,
            > this is fantasy in a sense, as well as anything and
            > any concept is) that the vast majority of Realized
            > One's have been meditators at some point in their life,
            > and it can be surmised that in a way this did prepare
            > them in a way much like what a farmer does when they
            > plant a crop. It removed the weeds and other impurities,
            > and prepared the soil to give the seeds the best chance
            > possible for the miracle of life and growth to occur.
            > But, as it is with farming, the eventual birth and
            > growth of sweet fruit can only take place by Grace.
            >
            > So, should we Meditate or not relative to non-duality?

          • Sandeep
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 11, 2012
              Hi Bob,

              Very pertinent and succinct.
              Some comments in-between as below.

              On 09-02-2012 08:39, medit8ionsociety wrote:

              It is fashionable by so-called Realized Ones to say that there is nothing to do, and no effort you can make to gain the state of Enlightenment/Cosmic Consciousness/Realization, etc. (whatever you
              want to call "IT"), because that already is the reality.

              Yes...........IT, reality, Bliss, Source, this-that-is, that-which-is, or Bozo.........is already is.

              Which does not exclude anything that gets to be done, or anything that gets to be desisted to be done.

              There is nothing to be done and everything gets done.

              Including the appearance of a sense of investment in and with the doing(whatever that might be)........a sense of investment, which is the hope that the doing will lead to whatever has been conceived by that very sense of investment.

              In and as reality............. such a drama ............also appears................. to appear, persist........and in some instances, ceases.

              Assertion of something and aversion of that same thing............are one and the same.

              It is just a matter of experience and realizing the Truth. And this comes about unbidden and unprecedented by any cause and effect.

              If it is to "come about"...............whether causal or acausal.........first of all........the lack is to be apriori established.

              For a lack to be established a referencing/defining is to be established.

              With a referencing/defining.........the entirety of the known comes into creative play.

              For there is no referencing or defining........of that which is not in the domain of the known.

              Even the terms "unknown" or "unknowable"............needs the anchor of the known...........for them to have a meaning.........and thus are only modifications of the known.

              But yet there is a multi-thousand year old tradition that says that meditation is a valuable tool and has preceded their Enlightenment by virtually every
              Realized One. So, if there is nothing to do and no effort necessary, what's the deal with this?

              Meditation( in its real form, not the cock and bull stuff that is much bandied about these days, whether in physical space or cyber space) is indeed a valuable tool.

              For defined values.

              For example a prevailing and persisting sense of dis-ease, disturbance, losing anchor, psychosis............and their attendant physical/mental/emotional effects in the body mind biological object.......are indeed adequately and satisfactorily addressed through the ancient techniques that have emerged over thousand of years.

              The Witness factor

              Reality can only take place NOW, so any event that doesn't take place in the now can be excluded in any discussion about reality. As an example,
              most people spend about 99% of their mental time fantasizing about the future or rehashing the past, so all of these thoughts have nothing to do with
              reality.

              The fantasizing of a future..........is happening now.
              The re-hashing of a past is happening now.

              nnb

[...]

            • Bruce Morgen
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 11, 2012
                On 2/11/2012 5:29 AM, Sandeep wrote:
                Hi Bob,

                Very pertinent and succinct.
                Some comments in-between as below.

                On 09-02-2012 08:39, medit8ionsociety wrote:
                 [snip]

                The Witness factor

                Reality can only take place NOW, so any event that doesn't take place in the now can be excluded in any discussion about reality. As an example,
                most people spend about 99% of their mental time fantasizing about the future or rehashing the past, so all of these thoughts have nothing to do with
                reality.

                The fantasizing of a future..........is happening now.
                The re-hashing of a past is happening now.

                Ergo fantasizing and re-hashing
                are real, while a future and a
                past are imaginary.  In fact, the
                fantasizing of a future is
                essentially yet another re-
                hashing of the past, because
                memories (rather unreliably
                stored data and images) by
                definition reference the past,
                and memories are all the
                fantasizer (aka "thought") has to
                work with.                :-)

                [snip]

              • Sandeep
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 11, 2012
                  On 12-02-2012 04:15, Bruce Morgen wrote:

                  On 2/11/2012 5:29 AM, Sandeep wrote:

                  Hi Bob,

                  Very pertinent and succinct.
                  Some comments in-between as below.

                  On 09-02-2012 08:39, medit8ionsociety wrote:
                   [snip]

                  The Witness factor

                  Reality can only take place NOW, so any event that doesn't take place in the now can be excluded in any discussion about reality. As an example,
                  most people spend about 99% of their mental time fantasizing about the future or rehashing the past, so all of these thoughts have nothing to do with
                  reality.

                  The fantasizing of a future..........is happening now.
                  The re-hashing of a past is happening now.

                  Ergo fantasizing and re-hashing
                  are real,

                  The act of fantasizing and re-hashing.........also........as-if.

                  while a future and a
                  past are imaginary.  In fact, the
                  fantasizing of a future is
                  essentially yet another re-
                  hashing of the past, because
                  memories (rather unreliably
                  stored data and images) by
                  definition reference the past,
                  and memories are all the
                  fantasizer (aka "thought") has to
                  work with.

                  Indeed.

                  The future is only a modification.......... a reactive creativity........ of the past.