Preparing to Meditate in the Jainism Tradition

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 5 9:20 AM
      As long as I am seated in this meditation,
      I shall patiently suffer all calamities that
      might befall me, be they caused by an animal,
      a human being or a god.

      I renounce, for the duration [of this meditation],
      my body, all food, and all passions. Attachment,
      aversion, fear, sorrow, joy, anxiety, self-pity...
      all these I abandon with body, mind, and speech.
      I further renounce all delight and all repulsion
      of a sexual nature.

      Whether it is life or death, whether gain or loss,
      whether defeat or victory, whether meeting or
      separation, whether friend or enemy, whether
      pleasure or pain, I have equanimity towards all.

      In [attaining] knowledge, insight, and proper
      conduct, [the cause] is invariably nothing but my own
      soul. Similarly, my soul [is cause] for both
      the influx of karmas and the stopping of that influx.

      One and eternal is my soul, characterized by intuition
      and knowledge; all other states that I undergo
      are external to me, for they are formed by
      associations. Because of these associations my
      soul has suffered the chains of misery; therefore
      I renounce with body, mind, and speech, all
      relationships based on such associations.

      Thus have I attained to equanimity and to my own
      self-nature. May this state of equanimity be with
      until I attain salvation.

      Samayika Patha