The Value of a Human Being

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2012
      A human being is part of the whole called
      by us universe, a part limited in time and
      space. We experience ourselves, our thoughts
      and feelings as something separate from the
      rest. A kind of optical delusion of consciousness.
      This delusion is a kind of prison for us,
      restricting us to our personal desires and
      to affection for a few persons nearest to us.
      Our task must be to free ourselves from the
      prison by widening our circle of compassion to
      embrace all living creatures and the whole of
      nature in its beauty. The true value of a human
      being is determined by the measure and the sense
      in which they have obtained liberation from the
      self. We shall require a substantially new manner
      of thinking if humanity is to survive.
      (Albert Einstein, 1954)