Re: My Favorite Technique

  • walto
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 12, 2012

      > Probably due to our high ranking on the search
      > engines for Meditation Techniques (#2 on Bing and
      > Yahoo, and #5 on Google today), we get many emails
      > asking for information as well as those wanting
      > to share posts on this forum. One we get often is
      > "What's your favorite technique". For whatever reason
      > is behind it, we've recently gotten this question
      > several times this young year. So we're sharing it
      > here, now. For me, I spent almost 20 years "doing"
      > this one (before It came spontaneously). Along with millions
      > of other people for uncountable ages, I found
      > and find it very beneficial. I hope you will too.
      > Peace and blessings,
      > Bob
      >
      > Soham
      >
      > The Bible tells us that in the beginning there
      > was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the
      > Word was God. But in the beginning, there were
      > no words, no languages, or even sounds of humans
      > or animals. So what was the Word that was in the
      > beginning. This has been a great mystery, but like
      > the solution to many mysteries, the answer has been
      > right under our nose all along. And that is Soham.
      >
      > Soham is referred to as the "Mahamantra", the Greatest
      > Mantra, and is considered along with Om to be the most
      > powerful of all techniques. This was the first
      > meditation technique, both in antiquity and in our
      > own lives. The ancient cavemen, before they had
      > invented language or fire, would sit in their dark
      > caves and have nothing else to focus on but the
      > sound of their breath. Similarly, the first sound
      > we heard when we were in our mothers' womb was the
      > sound of her breath, and this sound has been with
      > us ever since we drew our first breath. It negates
      > the need to rely on any of the words of the languages
      > of the world to use as a mantra. It has brought
      > people to transcendence of worldly limitations from
      > time immemorial and continues to do so. It can be
      > done even while driving, working, and doing other
      > acts of daily life and thereby offers a continuous
      > experience of being in the present. This is a great
      > present, because Reality takes place now, in the
      > present. Soham is a wonder-full meditation technique
      > and I hope will bring you the experience of Knowledge,
      > Consciousness, and Bliss that is your birthright.
      >
      > In the Bible, when God was asked what his name is,
      > He answered " I Am That I Am'. In Sanskrit, the most
      > ancient of languages, the sound of the inhalation
      > is termed So, and the exhalation is Ham. Combined,
      > the word Soham is translated as "I Am He/That".
      > So, whenever you are doing this technique, you are
      > calling on God. Every breath thus becomes a prayer
      > and adoration.
      >

      > The Soham Meditation Technique
      > At the time and in the place where you feel most
      > comfortable, place your body in the position that
      > you have found to be the most beneficial for meditation.
      > Close your eyes. Close your ears by putting your thumbs
      > in them, or by using earplugs. This will intensify the
> [...]

      Here's on of the techniques favored by the (fictional) guru in my _Perennial Solution Center_ for those who are suffering from anxiety/sleeplessness.

      "Go to your room or another quiet place. Sit or lie down in a comfortable position. Breathe regularly. With each breath you exhale, alternate between whispering "flow down" and whispering "flow out." Do this softly, so even you can barely hear it, but don't just think these things, say them. When you whisper "flow down" try to feel any tension in your chest flowing down to your waist. When you say "flow out" try to feel this tightness flowing down from your waist through your legs, down to the tips of your toes and out of your body. Your feet may begin to tingle. Try not to think of anything else but this flowing of the nervousness from your body, but if you catch yourself being distracted from your relaxation exercise, don't chastise yourself: simply go back to the meditation.

      "I think you will find this very calming. This practice may even help when you are having death anxieties, although it is hard to breathe calmly and concentrate only on flowing down and flowing out, when you are in the middle of being very scared. If you do perform this meditation while lying down, you may fall asleep. I take it you don't object to knowing a technique that may sometimes help you fall asleep."

      If it doesn't help and the sufferer finds he/she is still revving, he recommends the "Thousand-Petaled Lotus" meditation that's set forth in Lawrence LeShan's book, _How to Meditate_. That's a good one to help determine what may be bothering you. I believe I've posted the relevant passage from LeShan here previously...

      Best,