Prolonging Mindfulness

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 12, 2012
      "Mindfulness is very much like what you see
      with your peripheral vision as opposed to the
      hard focus of normal or central vision. Yet
      this moment of soft, unfocused awareness contains
      a very deep sort of knowing that is lost as soon
      as you focus your mind and objectify the object
      into a thing. In the process of ordinary perception,
      the mindfulness step is so fleeting as to be
      unobservable. We have developed the habit of
      squandering our attention on all the remaining
      steps, focusing on the perception, cognizing the
      perception, labeling it, and most of all, getting
      involved in a long string of symbolic thought about
      it. The original moment of mindfulness is rapidly
      passed over. It is the purpose of Vipassana meditation
      to train us to prolong that moment of awareness."

      Bhante Gunaratana (from "Mindfulness in Plain English")