My Favorite Technique

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 10, 2012
      Probably due to our high ranking on the search
      engines for Meditation Techniques (#2 on Bing and
      Yahoo, and #5 on Google today), we get many emails
      asking for information as well as those wanting
      to share posts on this forum. One we get often is
      "What's your favorite technique". For whatever reason
      is behind it, we've recently gotten this question
      several times this young year. So we're sharing it
      here, now. For me, I spent almost 20 years "doing"
      this one (before It came spontaneously). Along with millions
      of other people for uncountable ages, I found
      and find it very beneficial. I hope you will too.

      Soham

      The Bible tells us that in the beginning there
      was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the
      Word was God. But in the beginning, there were
      no words, no languages, or even sounds of humans
      or animals. So what was the Word that was in the
      beginning. This has been a great mystery, but like
      the solution to many mysteries, the answer has been
      right under our nose all along. And that is Soham.

      Soham is referred to as the "Mahamantra", the Greatest
      Mantra, and is considered along with Om to be the most
      powerful of all techniques. This was the first
      meditation technique, both in antiquity and in our
      own lives. The ancient cavemen, before they had
      invented language or fire, would sit in their dark
      caves and have nothing else to focus on but the
      sound of their breath. Similarly, the first sound
      we heard when we were in our mothers' womb was the
      sound of her breath, and this sound has been with
      us ever since we drew our first breath. It negates
      the need to rely on any of the words of the languages
      of the world to use as a mantra. It has brought
      people to transcendence of worldly limitations from
      time immemorial and continues to do so. It can be
      done even while driving, working, and doing other
      acts of daily life and thereby offers a continuous
      experience of being in the present. This is a great
      present, because Reality takes place now, in the
      present. Soham is a wonder-full meditation technique
      and I hope will bring you the experience of Knowledge,
      Consciousness, and Bliss that is your birthright.

      In the Bible, when God was asked what his name is,
      He answered " I Am That I Am'. In Sanskrit, the most
      ancient of languages, the sound of the inhalation
      is termed So, and the exhalation is Ham. Combined,
      the word Soham is translated as "I Am He/That".
      So, whenever you are doing this technique, you are
      calling on God. Every breath thus becomes a prayer
      and adoration.

      The Soham Meditation Technique
      At the time and in the place where you feel most
      comfortable, place your body in the position that
      you have found to be the most beneficial for meditation.
      Close your eyes. Close your ears by putting your thumbs
      in them, or by using earplugs. This will intensify the
      sound of your breath while diminishing the distractions
      that sight and sound bring. Command your mind to be
      silent, your emotions to be calm, and your body to
      stay relaxed. Focus on the sound of your breath coming
      in. Associate it with the word So. As your breath
      leaves, listen to the sound and associate it with the
      word Ham. To pronounce So and Ham correctly, listen
      to how they sound. As with most pranayama (breathing
      techniques), Soham is done either in 3 cycles of 12
      or 12 cycles of 12. One inhalation and one exhalation
      are one respiration. 12 respirations are one cycle.
      For those just starting to use this technique, it
      is usual to silently say the word So with each inhalation
      and the word Ham with each exhale. When you are focused
      consistently, consciously, you will flow into simply
      listening to the sound of Soham. Soham is by far the
      easiest meditation. It comes to all living creatures
      without any effort. And yet it is the deepest possible
      technique, as it presents the opportunity to meditate
      on the great mystery of life and the life-giver itself.

      No matter how we have acted and reacted, with each
      breath we are forgiven for our so-called sins and rewarded
      with another breath, another heartbeat, and another moment
      of life to cherish. No act of will on our part can give
      us breath. Literally, we are graced with this gift of life
      from a power greater than ourselves. A corpse has every
      bone, every organ, and every bodily system that we have,
      and yet it doesn't have life or healing energy filling
      every cell with every breath, as we have. As you merge
      more and more with Soham, you surrender your reactivity
      to your thoughts, emotions, and sensory impressions. These
      are all just heavy earth-bound suffering-causing limitations.
      The divine energy of Soham is limitless heavenly love
      and light. Witness, surrender all effort, and fill with
      this most precious gift of Grace.
    • walto
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 12, 2012

> [...]
        > on the great mystery of life and the life-giver itself.
        >
        > No matter how we have acted and reacted, with each
        > breath we are forgiven for our so-called sins and rewarded
        > with another breath, another heartbeat, and another moment
        > of life to cherish. No act of will on our part can give
        > us breath. Literally, we are graced with this gift of life
        > from a power greater than ourselves. A corpse has every
        > bone, every organ, and every bodily system that we have,
        > and yet it doesn't have life or healing energy filling
        > every cell with every breath, as we have. As you merge
        > more and more with Soham, you surrender your reactivity
        > to your thoughts, emotions, and sensory impressions. These
        > are all just heavy earth-bound suffering-causing limitations.
        > The divine energy of Soham is limitless heavenly love
        > and light. Witness, surrender all effort, and fill with

        Here's on of the techniques favored by the (fictional) guru in my _Perennial Solution Center_ for those who are suffering from anxiety/sleeplessness.

        "Go to your room or another quiet place. Sit or lie down in a comfortable position. Breathe regularly. With each breath you exhale, alternate between whispering "flow down" and whispering "flow out." Do this softly, so even you can barely hear it, but don't just think these things, say them. When you whisper "flow down" try to feel any tension in your chest flowing down to your waist. When you say "flow out" try to feel this tightness flowing down from your waist through your legs, down to the tips of your toes and out of your body. Your feet may begin to tingle. Try not to think of anything else but this flowing of the nervousness from your body, but if you catch yourself being distracted from your relaxation exercise, don't chastise yourself: simply go back to the meditation.

        "I think you will find this very calming. This practice may even help when you are having death anxieties, although it is hard to breathe calmly and concentrate only on flowing down and flowing out, when you are in the middle of being very scared. If you do perform this meditation while lying down, you may fall asleep. I take it you don't object to knowing a technique that may sometimes help you fall asleep."

        If it doesn't help and the sufferer finds he/she is still revving, he recommends the "Thousand-Petaled Lotus" meditation that's set forth in Lawrence LeShan's book, _How to Meditate_. That's a good one to help determine what may be bothering you. I believe I've posted the relevant passage from LeShan here previously...

        Best,