The Dalai Lama on NonDuality

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 18, 2011
      A question was put to to His Holiness Dalai Lama:

      "How does one go from inferential knowledge
      to nonconceptual knowledge? Since analysis is used
      to arrive at total inferential knowledge any more
      analysis would still be inferential."

      His Holiness' answer:

      "Among meditations there are many different
      types and in special situations such as certain
      levels of Highest Yoga Tantra for example, analysis
      is discouraged. The general mode of procedure on
      the Buddhist path is that through constant reflection
      on the knowledge which is initially inferential,
      through various stages of familiarisation, reflection
      and contemplation, that knowledge which is initially
      inferential could eventually become nonconceptual.
      The engagement of that knowledge in relation to the
      object becomes subtler and subtler, eventually the
      knowledge becomes direct and unveiled.

      Generally speaking it is very true that there must
      be a correlation between cause and its effects. Any
      cause can not give rise to any effect. There must be
      some causal relationship and connection but that does
      not mean that every effect must have completely similar
      causes. Take for instance the omnisicent mind of the
      Buddha; if we insist that its cause must be completely
      similar in characteristics with its effect which is
      omniscient mind, then we will have to maintain that
      within us we possess the seed for attaining Buddha's
      omniscient mind and wisdom. Then we must possess within
      us, even to a slight degree some form of Buddha's omniscient
      mind which cannot be maintained. As far as non-conceptual
      awareness or wisdom of Arya beings is concerned, the
      causes need not be such high states of realisation.
      Therefore regarding the non-dualistic awareness or wisdom
      of Arya beings, their causes can be said to exist even
      within ordinary beings.

      If we examine our mind, as long as we remain in an
      ordinary state of existence, our mind is characterized
      by dualistic perceptions, dualistic experiences. Within
      this dualistic experience and perception we must be able
      to seek some kind of seed which would give rise to
      non-dual wisdom and awareness. Therefore in the initial
      stage of knowledge, it is inferential, dualistic and
      characterized by duality between subject and object.
      As you train your mind and constantly reflect and cultivate
      your familiarity with that object, then that subject
      and object duality will gradually diminish in its
      intensity. Gradually it will lead you to realization.
      Your knowledge of the object becomes direct, intuitive
      and non-conceptual.

      When we talk of non-dual awareness in the context
      of dualistic appearances or dualism, one must bear in
      mind that there are many different meanings of the term.
      Dualistic experience could be understood in terms of a
      multitude of ways: conventional appearance as dualistic
      appearance, subject and object duality or separateness
      as being dualistic appearance; or as a generated image
      through which we can conceive as object, that image can
      be seen as dualistic appearance. Similarly when we come
      across the term non-conceptuality we do not have the
      notion that there is only a single meaning which is
      universal in every single context. Non-conceptuality
      will have different meanings in different contexts."
      permission from the copyright owner.