Zen Wisdom

    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 14, 2011
      Soyen Shaku, the first Zen teacher to come
      to America, said: 'My heart burns like fire
      but my eyes are as cold as dead ashes.'

      He made the following rules, which he practiced
      every day of his life.

      In the morning before dressing, light incense
      and meditate. Retire at a regular hour.

      Partake of food at regular intervals.
      Eat with moderation and never to the point
      of satisfaction.

      Receive a guest with the same attitude you
      have when alone. When alone, maintain the same
      attitude you have in receiving guests.

      Watch what you say, and whatever you say, practice it.
      When an opportunity comes do not let it pass by,
      yet always think twice before acting. Do not regret
      the past. Look to the future.

      Have the fearless attitude of a hero and the
      loving heart of a child.

      Upon retiring sleep as if you had entered your
      last sleep. Upon awakening, leave your bed behind
      you instantly as if you had cast away a pair of old shoes. ----------------------------------------------------------
      permission from the copyright owner.