Zen and the Art of Knifemaking

    Message 1 of 27 , Dec 9, 2011
      This weekend I'll be displaying my knives
      http://www.bobroseknives.com
      at the Harrisburg PA Gun Show.
      If you feel like sharing meditation concepts,
      methods and experiences, I'll be glad to
      spend time with you. This show is really unique
      even for weapon-addicts. It's the only place I
      know of where they not only sell weapons and
      ammo, but where you can also buy and drink beer.
      Talk about non-conduscive to meditation venues!
      But in reality, it's a perfect place to put into
      practice your non-distractability, keeping
      calm in all situations, and awareness to the test.
      So stop by and say hello. These days, it's actually
      a safer environment than some college campuses, and
      we may even find it to be a good opportunity to
      evolve in consciousness.

      Visitor Information
      LOCATION
      The show will be held in the Pennsylvania Farm Show Complex & Expo Center, North Cameron and Maclay Streets, Harrisburg, PA.

      DIRECTIONS

      TRAVELING WEST ON THE PENNSYLVANIA TURNPIKE:
      Take Exit 247. Travel north on PA-283, which merges with I-83. Follow I-83 North and merge with I-81 South. Take Exit 67A for Cameron Street off I-81. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

      TRAVELING EAST ON PENNSYLVANIA TURNPIKE:
      Take Exit 236. Travel north on Route 15 to 581 West. Travel west on 581 and merge onto I-81 North. Follow I-81 North across the Susquehanna River, and then take Exit 67 for Cameron Street off I-81. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

      FROM THE HARRISBURG INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT:
      Head north on 441 to 283 North. Travel north on PA-283, which merges with I-83. Follow I-83 North and merge with I-81 South. Take Exit 67A for Cameron Street off I-81. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

      FROM THE WEST SHORE/CARLISLE:
      Take I-81 North to Exit 67A for Cameron Street. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

      FROM DOWNTOWN HARRISBURG:
      Take Second Street north to the 2100 block and turn right onto Maclay Street. Follow Maclay Street east across the railroad bridge to the traffic light at the Farm Show Building. Turn left onto Cameron Street and travel north. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

      FROM THE NORTH:
      Take 11/15 South following the Susquehanna River to I-81. Follow I-81 North across the river and take Exit 67A for Cameron Street. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

      FROM THE UPPER DAUPHIN AREA:
      Take Route 147 South or Route 225 South to Route 322 (River Relief Route). Route 322 becomes Cameron Street after crossing over I-81. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

      FROM HERSHEY:
      Take Route 322 West to I-83 North and merge with I-81 South. Take Exit 67A for Cameron Street. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

      FROM LANCASTER:
      Take 283 North towards Harrisburg to I-83 North and merge with I-81 South. Take Exit 67A for Cameron Street. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

      FROM YORK:
      Take I-83 North across the Susquehanna River. Follow I-83 North and merge with I-81 South. Take Exit 67A for Cameron Street. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

      FROM LEBANON:
      Take I-81 South towards Harrisburg. Take Exit 67A for Cameron Street. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

      FROM PROGRESS AVE EXIT OFF 81N:
      Take Exit 69. Merge right with Progress Avenue Traffic. Turn right onto Elmerton Avenue at traffic light. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

      FROM PROGRESS AVE EXIT OFF 81S:
      Take Exit 69. Turn right at traffic light onto Progress Avenue. At second traffic light turn right onto Elmerton Avenue. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.
      Message 2 of 27 , May 4, 2012
        Once again, I'll be displaying my knives at a gun
        show this weekend. It's at the Philly Convention Center
        in Oaks PA. Here's the URL for info.
        http://www.eaglearms.com/Eaglearmsproductionfullpage.html
        The last show we were at was one of the "highest" ones we've
        attended. We had the pleasure of sharing meditation concepts
        and techniques with several of our members who were there,
        and it was a very nice experiential demo of transcending
        what would normally be a semi-insane environment. Fun too!

        One of the surprises was when we got to interact with a
        great 11 year old kid who's father is one of the real
        masters of martial arts. This guy is so tough he wears
        a kilt to a gun show and nobody would dream of making fun
        of him. And yet he has a wisdom and righteousness that is
        all too rare. Glad to say that his son seems to be going
        right along the same path.

        Anyway, if you're in the area, please stop by and say hello.
        If you'd like to see some of the newest knives I've made,
        and that will be on display, they're at the bottom of the
        web page here: http://www.bobroseknives.com

        Message 3 of 27 , Sep 7 8:59 AM
          I'll be displaying my knives this Sat and Sun at
          the gun show at the Harrisburg PA Farm Show Complex and
          Expo Center 2300 North Cameron Street Harrisburg, PA 17110
          I've enjoyed meeting and sharing time and experiences
          with several of our members there in past shows and
          look forward to that doing this again. Semi-interesting
          venue - 800 tables of weapons and ammo... and they
          serve beer!?!?!?
          Relative to knife-making, I've been using amazing new materials
          for the handles on my most recent knives and wonder at
          the beauty of these man-made high-tech products.
          They're so nice that one may not even notice the
          hardly expert level my knife skills demonstrate. It's
          kind of analogous to how having a loving personality can
          make you attractive even if visually you're no Brad
          or Angelina. These knives can be seen at the bottom of
          my knife site at: http://www.bobroseknives.com
          Anyway, if you do come, please don't wear some other
          teams shirts than the Eagles. You know that this could
          become a distraction from sharing meditation concepts
          and methods as I might go off on rants about football:)
          Hope to see you soon!
          Message 4 of 27 , Sep 9 4:33 PM
            OK, by semi-popular request, here's a brief report of the
            gun show. One of the most interesting things was that a forum
            member and a friend of his have started to make knives
            and seemingly are walking a similar path as I am relative
            to finding it at times to precede interesting, pleasant, and
            unusually informative meditative experiences...
            IE: They report entering a focus of attention so intense and
            yet so effortless that a shift in consciousness takes place
            that they sort of defined as a transcendent level of non-dual
            attention where one's individual identity melts away and
            a new awakening reveals an infinite unification with what
            Gurdjieff labeled "All and Everything". In any event, they
            still have all their fingers and other body parts, and that
            itself is a great result of clear meditative focus while
            using very powerful and potentially dangerous power tools.
            BTW, as a bonus, their knives looked very good and
            should prove highly functional. And just like me they report
            being surprised at having nice knives in their hands appear
            almost magically when the sparks, smoke, smells, sounds and
            heat subside.
            Anyway, thanks to those who came out and shared their
            wisdom and humor. Much appreciated!

            Message 5 of 27 , Dec 14, 2012
              Once again, I'll be displaying my knives and sharing
              meditation concepts and techniques (the usual combination
              for a meditation teacher:) at the Philly Gun Show in Oaks PA
              this weekend, Friday Dec 14 from 4PM to 8PM, Sat 9AM to 5PM, and
              Sun 9AM to 4PM. Here's where you can get info and a discount coupon:
              http://www.eaglearmsgunshows.com/oaks-gun-show-philadelphia-expo-center.html
              There will be about 1,000 tables full of weapons, ammo, and just
              about anything you can think of that brings about violence and
              destruction, as well as thousands of people who are anxious to buy
              these items. And there will also be my table where consciousness
              evolving methods will be shared (as well as complaining about the
              Eagles). Many of the knives I have made will be available and with
              the holidays coming, I expect lots of activity that interrupts our
              "high" conversations. But this is all part of what life is about...
              and maintaining a meditative mode in active as well as in passive situations is what a meditative practice should include. And when
              someone approaches you carrying a machine gun, and has ammo around
              their neck, to discus how best to use a certain knife, or whatever else is making their mind chatter, it's certainly an excellent opportunity to witness your own chatter, and to apply Self
              control and maintain your serenity, or to see just when and
              how you lose it (which might be a more valuable benefit).
              So it is actually an excellent environment for learning about and experiencing meditation in real life. Hope to see you there!
              BTW, here's where you can see my knives:
              http://www.bobroseknives.com
              Message 6 of 27 , Dec 16, 2012
                Well, this weekend I spent displaying knives I've made at
                the Philly Gun Show. 1200 tables full of weapons and their
                accoutrements and thousands of people there to buy them.
                Much discussion about the duality of "guns don't kill people,
                people do" and "if there weren't guns available, there wouldn't
                be so many killings" Of course there were local TV crews there filming the goings on and promising to be "fair" in their
                reporting as they focused the cameras on assault rifles and
                other semi and full automatic weapons. This will be just a
                small part of the ongoing and now top news discussion.

                In between actually selling some knives, I spent time
                discussing meditation with people and even conducted some
                mindfulness exercises semi-maintaining a Witnessing
                perspective on whatever was flowing by moment to (what seemed
                like) another moment. And as is common when in a wordless
                meditative mode, words appear that (right or wrong) point to
                "an answer", and here are some that flowed by...

                I'm guessing that just as there are hundreds of millions of
                words available to us, and they don't seem to solve anything,
                there being hundreds of millions of guns and rifles right now
                in the USA, and they aren't solving anything either, maybe
                just being conscious is the only real "problem solver".
                As Gurdjieff put it...
                "Do not be affected by externals. In themselves they are
                harmless; it is we who allow ourselves to be hurt by them."

                (the above is a para-phrase of a post on the Gene's Gulag
                forum)