Re: Jiddu Krishnamurthy on Meditation

  • walto
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 27, 2011
      A couple of bits of this quote struck me.

      > Meditation is the beginning
      > of self-knowledge and without self-knowledge there
      > is no meditation.

      > The beginning of meditation is self-knowledge,

      > without self-knowledge there is no meditation.

      [No egg, no chicken; no chicken, no egg.]

      > the thinker who merely asks, prays, or excludes,
      > without understanding himself, must inevitably
      > end in confusion, in illusion.

      [More on asking/praying below]

      > The superficial, conscious mind is occupied with its
      > daily activities, with earning a livelihood, deceiving
      > others, exploiting others, running away from problems -
      > all the daily activities of our existence.

      [NB: The conscious mind is always in deception mode: never with helping others or considering the value of meditation, or posting useful material on internet sites, as our moderator does.]

      > of the many, many hidden layers of the mind - the
      > racial instincts, the buried memories, the concealed
      > pursuits, the deep wounds that are still unhealed. It
      > is only when all these have projected themselves and
      > are understood, when the whole consciousness is unburdened, unfettered by any wound, by any memory whatsoever, that
      > it is in a position to receive the eternal.

      [Note to self: must find my "racial instincts" so that they may project themselves.]

      > A man who is fully
      > aware is meditating; he does not pray, because he does
      > not want anything.

      > If you are interested to discover the whole
      > process of yourself - not merely the superficial part
      > but the total process of your whole being - then it is
      > comparatively easy. If you really want to know yourself,
      > you will search out your heart and your mind to know
      > their full content

      [Note to self: don't pray, but really really want.]

    • Shelia Chughtai
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 27, 2011
        Peace Be Unto You,

        Very inspiring and uplifting thoughts. It really made me think and reflect...

        Sr. Shelia