Re: The Buddha Mind

  • dan330033
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 22, 2011
      I enjoyed reading that excerpt, Bob. I read that book a long time ago and found it to be thoughtful and accessible.

      Compartments, lines, divisions, comparisons are imaginary, are based on thought and emotion.

      Thought and emotional reactions are based on the past.

      One moment of clear seeing is enough.

      The past is not.

      The imaginary effort to maintain the past, through memory, thought, and emotional investment - does not keep the past going.

      The past is never present.

      The present is present.

      The present doesn't have the boundaries, definitions, contrasts, comparisons that thought assumes.

      Thought is free to occur and dissolve in the present.

      Thought never conditions what the present is.

      Thought's contents are conditional, and conditioned.

      But thought's contents don't define what the present is.

      - Dan

      > From The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying
      > By Sogyal Rinpoche
      >
      > Even though we have the same inner nature as Buddha,
      > e have not recognized it because it is so enclosed
      > and wrapped up in our individual ordinary minds.
      > Imagine an empty vase. The space inside is exactly
      > the same as the space outside. Only the fragile walls
      > of the vase separate one from the other. Our Buddha
      > mind is enclosed within the walls of our ordinary mind.
      > But when we become enlightened, it is as if that vase
      > shatters into pieces. The space "inside" merges instantly
      > into the space "outside." They become one: There and
      > then we realize they were never separate or different;
      > they were always the same.
      > Fair Use Notice: This document may contain
      > copyrighted material whose use has not been specifically
      > authorized by the copyright owners. I believe that
      > this not-for-profit, educational use on the Web
      > constitutes a fair use of the copyrighted material
      > (as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law).
      > If you wish to use this copyrighted material for purposes
      > of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain
      > permission from the copyright owner.

    • cris angel
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 22, 2011

        Thank you

        On Nov 22, 2011 12:20 PM, "dan330033" <dan330033@...> wrote:

        I enjoyed reading that excerpt, Bob. I read that book a long time ago and found it to be thoughtful and accessible.

        Compartments, lines, divisions, comparisons are imaginary, are based on thought and emotion.

        Thought and emotional reactions are based on the past.

        One moment of clear seeing is enough.

        The past is not.

        The imaginary effort to maintain the past, through memory, thought, and emotional investment - does not keep the past going.

        The past is never present.

        The present is present.

        The present doesn't have the boundaries, definitions, contrasts, comparisons that thought assumes.

        Thought is free to occur and dissolve in the present.

        Thought never conditions what the present is.

        Thought's contents are conditional, and conditioned.

        But thought's contents don't define what the present is.

        - Dan

        > From The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying
        > By Sogyal Rinpoche
        >
        > Even though we have the same inner nature as Buddha,
        > e have not recognized it because it is so enclosed
        > and wrapped up in our individual ordinary minds.
        > Imagine an empty vase. The space inside is exactly
        > the same as the space outside. Only the fragile walls
        > of the vase separate one from the other. Our Buddha
        > mind is enclosed within the walls of our ordinary mind.
        > But when we become enlightened, it is as if that vase
        > shatters into pieces. The space "inside" merges instantly
        > into the space "outside." They become one: There and
        > then we realize they were never separate or different;
        > they were always the same.
        > Fair Use Notice: This document may contain
        > copyrighted material whose use has not been specifically
        > authorized by the copyright owners. I believe that
        > this not-for-profit, educational use on the Web
        > constitutes a fair use of the copyrighted material
        > (as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law).
        > If you wish to use this copyrighted material for purposes
        > of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain
        > permission from the copyright owner.

      • Aideen Mckenna
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 22, 2011

          Oh.  Every once in a while I understand something I hadn’t understood before.  “Thought never conditions the present.”  No, it doesn’t – it can’t!  That’s why there’s no more conditioning once that “clear moment of seeing” happens.  I never understood why/how there would be no more conditioning.  Amazing that’s it’s really that simple.  Thank you!

          Aideen