By Request ----- How To Stay Awake

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 10, 2011
      How To Stay Awake, Alert, And Pay Attention
      Even If You're Feeling The Urge To Sleep

      There is an ancient story about a man who was
      very holy, humble, selfless, and charitable.
      He had only one shortcoming and that was his
      fondness for sleep. As a matter of fact, every
      time he sat down he got himself so comfortable
      that he dozed off. This was a problem because
      while he slept, he wasn't able to increase his
      wisdom or do good deeds. He was quite sure though
      that all the good deeds he did would offset the
      squandered opportunities that his sleepyheadedness
      cost him and that he would still get to spend
      eternity in heaven. As happens to all, one day
      he died. Sure enough, he ascended to heaven and
      soon found himself before the pearly gates. The
      gatekeeper told him that he must be ready to enter
      because the gates to heaven only open once every
      one hundred years. The man said he was ready and
      sat down to await his entry into eternal bliss.
      But as was his habit, he soon got himself so
      comfortable that he started to doze off. The very
      instant he fell asleep, the gates opened and then
      snapped close. He had missed his heavenly opportunity.
      It is unquestionable that we too make ourselves
      so nice and comfy that we are prone to missing
      our own golden opportunity moments.

      There is an alternative. We can wake up. And if
      we start dozing off, due to our too-comfortable
      habitual postures, we can flick an inner switch
      and energize. To understand the methodology, let's
      study that spiritual instruction titled "The Princess
      and the Pea".

      Once upon a time, in a land far, far away, there
      was a beautiful young girl who had become lost
      while traveling. As the sun set and the moon rose,
      she happened upon a splendid castle. After knocking
      on the massive doors and being brought inside, she
      found out that this was the castle of the king of
      the country she had been passing through. The king
      came to see the visitor. After exchanging greetings,
      the girl claimed to be a princess of a neighboring
      country and asked for royal treatment. The king sought
      the advice of his trusted counselors, who suggested
      putting her to a test. As it was very late at night
      and the girl was tired, they prepared a bedroom for
      the girl that would reveal the validity of her claim
      to royalty. Unbeknownst to the girl, they placed a
      pea under a mattress and then put more mattresses on
      top. The young girl was then helped to the top of the
      mattresses and wished pleasant dreams. When the sun
      came up, the counselors came to the room and asked
      her how she slept. The girl said that she hadn't
      slept at all and that she had felt an annoying irritation
      that kept her awake all through the night. This was
      the proof the counselors had been looking for, because
      only a royal being could be sensitive enough to be
      aware of a pea under ten mattresses. The king was
      elated and offered the princess his son's hand in
      marriage and thus the kingdom. The princess found
      the prince the most wonderful, handsome, wise man
      in the world and quickly accepted. They married
      and lived happily ever after.

      There is a great amount of spiritual knowledge that
      we can learn from this story. In fact, it has the
      potential to change our lives for the better so that
      we too will live happily ever afterÂ…

      The princess represents anyone who is lost and out
      of touch with their spiritual nature. Her journey
      is her quest for Enlightenment. The castle and the
      country are the kingdom of heaven within. It is
      necessary to stay awake to pass the test that will
      cause you to gain the Kings approval, marry into
      the royal family and share in control of the infinite,
      eternal kingdom. The night represents the time of
      ignorance of knowing our true royal identity. There
      are many more analogies to be drawn from the tale
      but the one to now focus in on is the one that will
      help us stay awake. It was a minor annoyance that
      kept the princess awake all through the night,
      until the sun, representing the truth, came up.
      For us, it is right now even if the physical sun
      is out. We are in darkness, unaware of our true nature
      and must find a way to stay awake. The clue is the
      pea. It wasn't necessary to use a bed of nails, or
      any other severe austerity to make the princess stay
      awake. So all we must do is find a pea to put
      under our mattress.

      Let's go back to our original contention that we
      are much too comfortable. This is due to our
      habitually adopting physical postures that are
      conducive to falling asleep and much too relaxing
      to keep up a state of alertness. The antidote and
      key to being awake is simply to recognize your
      sleep inducing habits and then reverse them.

      The Unnatural Positions Meditation

      A sure way to relax your body is to have your arms
      and legs relaxed. If your extremities are tension-free,
      so will be your mind and emotions, and you will tend
      to become drowsy and sleepy. So, for example, when
      we are in a business meeting, we habitually sit in
      a way that we have become used to, and invariably
      soon have to fight the urge to fall asleep. Let's do
      a demonstration. Right now, cross your legs the way
      you always do. You will have either your right leg
      over your left or vice versa. Or, you will have your
      right ankle over your left, or vice versa. Feels good,
      right? Now, interlace your fingers. Your right thumb
      will be over your left thumb, your right index finger
      over your left, and so on, or vice versa. Now just
      sit there for about 108 seconds and enjoy how relaxing
      your habitual posture is, and how comfortable it
      makes you feel.

      Now, cross your legs and interlace your fingers the
      opposite way. So, if you usually have your right foot
      crossed over your left and have your left thumb over
      your right, now put your left foot over your right and
      interlace all your fingers starting with your right
      thumb over your left. Now sit there for about 108 seconds.

      O.K. Fine, now you see. It is only a small change,
      just as a pea under a mattress is, but it is annoying
      enough to keep you awake. Now you can pay attention.
      You will not be able to fall asleep even if you want
      to. We are so habituated to our comfy conditioning
      manner of sitting that anything that is different
      makes a huge impression on us, overly annoying us
      and thus waking us up. So now you can pay attention
      to the boss, the teacher, the priest, or your
      mother-in-law, or whomever. But most importantly
      you can now pay attention to the present moment, and
      it is only in the present that your merging with the
      universe will take place. You must be present to
      receive this divine, truly royal present. This little
      change in physical discomfort can lead to your eternal
      spiritual comfort. Try it, be annoyed, wake up, and
      live happily ever after.