[Meditation Society of America] Re: A Most Unusual Deathbed Scene

    Message 1 of 48 , Nov 3, 2011
      "Aideen Mckenna" <aideenmck@...> wrote:

      > I wonder if Sean had a childhood like mine - if anyone in my family
      > expressed a point of view that differed from that of other family members,
      > there ensued screaming & yelling & maybe a broken dish or two. So, all
      > these years later, I tend to feel a lot of anxiety when 2 people disagree.
      > Especially if I feel some fondness for the people & can more or less see
      > both points of view. I just want them to stop fighting. So it was a real
      > shock to see that these 2 people actually regarded their disagreement as
      > friendly.
      >
      > It seems to take an awfully long time to overcome early conditioning.
      >
      > Aideen

      "we practice meditation in order to see ourselves
      as we truly are and life as it truly is. when we
      are suffering, we can look inside to find the
      cause - always some form of clinging. by noticing
      how quickly we attach to new ideas and perspectives,
      we can begin to unlearn the habit. one trick is
      to watch for moments when we feel the need to
      defend ourselves or our point of view. defensiveness
      is always a red flag; it shows that we have once
      again become stuck in a point of view. we are
      pretending to be solid, and we want everyone else
      to go along with it. with a little honesty and
      effort, we can determine where we are stuck and
      then choose to let go. gradually we become more
      flexible, finding it easier to let go of our
      perspectives. we take this 'me' less seriously,
      appreciating instead our dynamic and unfixed true nature.

      with practice, we begin to see the world from the
      perspective of BIG MIND, which can see all perspectives
      but clings to none. we learn that it is possible
      to return to the view of BIG MIND whenever we've
      become stuck. it's easiest to assume that we're
      stuck somewhere; we only have to figure out where
      and then let go. liberation from the self is living
      each day without a place to stand or ideas about
      who we are. that's when we can dance with life."
      Genpo Roshi, the path of the human being
      permission from the copyright owner.

    • sandeep chatterjee
      Message 48 of 48 , Nov 5, 2011