Words of Wisdom by Swami Satchidananda

    Message 1 of 195 , Oct 31, 2011
      A Mind Calm and Serene

      "Detachment keeps your mind calm and serene,
      but the moment you show any attachment, you
      put tension in the mind. A yogi is one who
      has a tranquil mind, a neutral mind that has
      found the zero point, so his or her judgment
      will be absolutely clean and perfect. To find
      neutrality, one should be detached, with neither
      likes nor dislikes; if the mind leans to either
      of the sides, it will lose its power of judgment.
      That neutral point can be achieved only by a
      completely detached mind. That is the goal of
      Yoga: neutrality, tranquility, equanimity.
      Samatvam yoga uchyate, says the Bhagavad Gita.
      Equanimity is Yoga. To such a mind permanent
      happiness is its property.

      "God bless you. Om Shanthi, Shanthi, Shanthi."
      Message 195 of 195 , Apr 16 4:18 AM

        The Right Thing

        How do you know if what you decide to do is the right thing? It's very simple. The right thing will not affect your health and happiness. That's all. Anything that would affect your physical and mental peace, your health and happiness, is wrong. Anything. This might bring another question: "Suppose I want to help somebody who is troubled and that affects me. Should I do it or not?" If you are joyfully serving someone, even going through some pain doesn't affect you. You are still happy; you are simply using a little of your energy to help someone. You can't call that unhappiness.

        Sometimes when you help somebody, you feel depressed. Why is that? It is because you had expectations. "I am helping that person. The person should accept my help and get the benefit." When you don't see that person getting the benefit you expected, you get upset. That means it's not a selfless act, it's a selfish act. "I did something and I want a result."

        That doesn't mean there shouldn't be positive thoughts behind your actions. Certainly send your prayers, think about the welfare of the person. The difference is this: you want him to be happy of course, but you don't demand it. You are not attached to the outcome; you leave that up to God.

        In simple words, I would say an action without any selfish expectation whatsoever is a right action. Such an act will never disturb your mind or body.

        Om Shanti, Om Shanti, Om Shanti

        SwamiSatchidananda