Re: You Don't Say

  • walterhorn
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 25, 2011
      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "dan330033" <dan330033@...> wrote:

      > So, for example, one could say, "I have a thought of division and a related emotional reaction of anger and mistrust because my daughter is dating a young man of a different race and ethnicity than ours." However, seeing/being the full picture of what is, one sees that thought arising in a context, including history, various events in memory, in a manner that all perceptual events are mutually defining and co-arising. So, history, experience, time, breathing, air, food, a planet, space, thought, etc., are all mutually arising without division - past, present, and future, so this event is perceived, including whatever sense of separation (my race vs. that other race, mistrust, etc.)

      Hi again. I wonder if observers have noticed how when you want to urge unity, you give an example of race and ethnic distinctions to be overcome, while when I wanted to highlight differences, I juxtaposed a starving Somalian child and a rich Westchester resident, evolutionary science and creationism, etc. Rhetorical flourishes are big, no?

      Anyhow, come to Boston sometime, I'll buy you a beer (but not one of Sandeep's stale ones, hopefully), and maybe we'll convince each other of the errors of our ways--or have fun trying!

      Cheers,

    • dan330033
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 25, 2011
        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "walterhorn" <calhorn@...> wrote:

        > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "dan330033" <dan330033@> wrote:
        >

        > > So, for example, one could say, "I have a thought of division and a related emotional reaction of anger and mistrust because my daughter is dating a young man of a different race and ethnicity than ours." However, seeing/being the full picture of what is, one sees that thought arising in a context, including history, various events in memory, in a manner that all perceptual events are mutually defining and co-arising. So, history, experience, time, breathing, air, food, a planet, space, thought, etc., are all mutually arising without division - past, present, and future, so this event is perceived, including whatever sense of separation (my race vs. that other race, mistrust, etc.)
        > >

        > Hi again. I wonder if observers have noticed how when you want to urge unity, you give an example of race and ethnic distinctions to be overcome, while when I wanted to highlight differences, I juxtaposed a starving Somalian child and a rich Westchester resident, evolutionary science and creationism, etc. Rhetorical flourishes are big, no?

        D: Interesting. I work on a multi-ethnic college campus, where issues of race related to dating can be major in some families.

        > Anyhow, come to Boston sometime, I'll buy you a beer (but not one of Sandeep's stale ones, hopefully), and maybe we'll convince each other of the errors of our ways--or have fun trying!

        D: Sounds good. Convincing someone else to talk like me seems like a losing proposition. I'd rather just enjoy hearing them talk in whatever way seems natural for them, and if they accept me doing the same - great!

        > Cheers,

        ... and beers.

        ... or actually, a glass of a good wine, would be fine,

        - D -
      • walto
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 26, 2011
          --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "dan330033" <dan330033@...> wrote:

          > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "walterhorn" <calhorn@> wrote:
          > >

          > > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "dan330033" <dan330033@> wrote:
          > >

          > > > So, for example, one could say, "I have a thought of division and a related emotional reaction of anger and mistrust because my daughter is dating a young man of a different race and ethnicity than ours." However, seeing/being the full picture of what is, one sees that thought arising in a context, including history, various events in memory, in a manner that all perceptual events are mutually defining and co-arising. So, history, experience, time, breathing, air, food, a planet, space, thought, etc., are all mutually arising without division - past, present, and future, so this event is perceived, including whatever sense of separation (my race vs. that other race, mistrust, etc.)
          > > >

          > > Hi again. I wonder if observers have noticed how when you want to urge unity, you give an example of race and ethnic distinctions to be overcome, while when I wanted to highlight differences, I juxtaposed a starving Somalian child and a rich Westchester resident, evolutionary science and creationism, etc. Rhetorical flourishes are big, no?
          >
          > D: Interesting. I work on a multi-ethnic college campus, where issues of race related to dating can be major in some families.
          >
          > > Anyhow, come to Boston sometime, I'll buy you a beer (but not one of Sandeep's stale ones, hopefully), and maybe we'll convince each other of the errors of our ways--or have fun trying!
          >
          > D: Sounds good. Convincing someone else to talk like me seems like a losing proposition. I'd rather just enjoy hearing them talk in whatever way seems natural for them, and if they accept me doing the same - great!
          >
          > > Cheers,
          >
          > ... and beers.
          >
          > ... or actually, a glass of a good wine, would be fine,
          >
          > - D -

          Wine is fine by me. But...if you want it to be GOOD wine, you'll have to pick it! (I'm a $10 a bottle guy.)

          While we plan the venue, How about a little Beckett (from _Endgame_):

          CLOV: Why this farce, day after day?

          HAMM: Routine. One never knows. (Pause.) Last night I saw inside my breast. There was a big sore.

          CLOV: Pah! You saw your heart.

          HAMM: No, it was living. (Pause. Anguished.) Clov!

          CLOV: Yes.

          HAMM: What's happening?

          CLOV: Something is taking its course. (Pause.)

          HAMM: Clov!

          CLOV (impatiently): What is it?

          HAMM: We're not beginning to…to…mean something?

          CLOV: Mean something! You and I, mean something! (Brief laugh.) Ah that's a good one!

          [And then, a few pages later]

          HAMM (shouting): Use your head, can't you, use your head, you're on earth, there's no cure for that! (Pause.) Get out of here and love one another! Lick your neighbor as yourself!

        • dan330033
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 26, 2011
            --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "walto" <calhorn@...> wrote:

            > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "dan330033" <dan330033@> wrote:
            > >

            > > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "walterhorn" <calhorn@> wrote:

            > > > Hi again. I wonder if observers have noticed how when you want to urge unity, you give an example of race and ethnic distinctions to be overcome, while when I wanted to highlight differences, I juxtaposed a starving Somalian child and a rich Westchester resident, evolutionary science and creationism, etc. Rhetorical flourishes are big, no?
            > >
            > > D: Interesting. I work on a multi-ethnic college campus, where issues of race related to dating can be major in some families.
            > >
            > > > Anyhow, come to Boston sometime, I'll buy you a beer (but not one of Sandeep's stale ones, hopefully), and maybe we'll convince each other of the errors of our ways--or have fun trying!
            > >
            > > D: Sounds good. Convincing someone else to talk like me seems like a losing proposition. I'd rather just enjoy hearing them talk in whatever way seems natural for them, and if they accept me doing the same - great!
            > >
            > > > Cheers,
            > >
            > > ... and beers.
            > >
            > > ... or actually, a glass of a good wine, would be fine,
            > >
            > > - D -
            > >

            > Wine is fine by me. But...if you want it to be GOOD wine, you'll have to pick it! (I'm a $10 a bottle guy.)
            >
            > While we plan the venue, How about a little Beckett (from _Endgame_):
            >
            > CLOV: Why this farce, day after day?
            >
            > HAMM: Routine. One never knows. (Pause.) Last night I saw inside my breast. There was a big sore.
            >
            > CLOV: Pah! You saw your heart.
            >
            > HAMM: No, it was living. (Pause. Anguished.) Clov!
            >
            > CLOV: Yes.
            >
            > HAMM: What's happening?
            >
            > CLOV: Something is taking its course. (Pause.)
            >
            > HAMM: Clov!
            >
            > CLOV (impatiently): What is it?
            >
            > HAMM: We're not beginning to…to…mean something?
            >
            > CLOV: Mean something! You and I, mean something! (Brief laugh.) Ah that's a good one!
            >
            > [And then, a few pages later]
            >
            > HAMM (shouting): Use your head, can't you, use your head, you're on earth, there's no cure for that! (Pause.) Get out of here and love one another! Lick your neighbor as yourself!

            Funny!

            Laughing, sort of out loud, slightly

            But ... laughing,

            - D -

            P.S. With an initial like that, I hope no one confuses you with George Bush ... hey, wait a second, you're not ... ?