A Heads-up From a Zen Master

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 14, 2011
      Fa-yen,a Chinese Zen teacher, overheard a few young monks
      arguing about subjectivity and objectivity. He joined
      them and said: "There is a big stone. Do you consider
      it to be inside or outside your mind?"
      One of the monks replied: "From the Buddhist viewpoint
      everything is an objectification of mind, so I would
      say that the stone is inside my mind."
      "Your head must feel very heavy," observed Fa-yen,
      "if you are carrying around a stone like that in your mind."
    • dan330033
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 17, 2011
        To be a seasoned Zen teacher worthy of the name, you must have a quick retort to anything your student says.

        You have to demonstrate immediately that your student is making an assumption that can drop.

        Which still leaves the question:

        How is the Zen teacher to drop?

        And the answer is:

        Easy!