Words of Wisdom by Swami Sivananda

    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 13, 2011
      Deepavali - A Festival of Light, Joy & Illumination

      "The sun does not shine there, nor do the moon
      and the stars, nor do lightnings shine and much
      less fire. All the lights of the world cannot
      be compared even to a ray of the inner light of
      the Self. Merge yourself in this light of lights
      and enjoy the supreme Deepavali.

      He who Himself sees all but whom no one beholds,
      who illumines the intellect, the sun, the moon
      and the stars and the whole universe but
      whom they cannot illumine, He indeed is Brahman,
      He is the inner Self. Celebrate the real Deepavali
      by living in Brahman, and enjoy the eternal
      bliss of the soul." - Swami Sivananda
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 2, 2011
        PERFECT RENUNCIATION

        Vedanta does not want you to renounce the world.
        It wants you to change your mental attitude and
        give up this false, illusory `I-ness' and `mine-ness'.
        The snake charmer removes only the two poisonous
        fangs of the cobra. The snake remains the same. It hisses,
        raises its hood and shows its fangs. In fact, it
        does everything as before. The snake charmer has
        changed his mental attitude towards the snake. He has
        a feeling now that it has no poisonous fangs. Even so,
        you must remove the two poisonous fangs of the mind,
        namely, `I-ness' and `mine-ness' only. Then you can
        allow the mind to go wherever it likes. Then you
        will always have the feeling of the presence of God.
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 5, 2012
          SIT IN SILENCE

          I am neither male nor female;
          I am neither dvaita (dualism) nor advaita (non­-dualism);
          I am neither saguna (with qualities) nor nirguna (without qualities);
          I am neither seer nor hearer;
          I am neither body nor mind;
          I am neither far nor near;
          I am neither black nor red;
          I am neither thin nor stout;
          I live neither by food nor by air;
          I neither move nor stop;
          I shall neither go to hell nor to heaven;
          I neither laugh nor weep;
          I work and yet I do not work;
          I hear without ears and see without eyes;
          I smell without nose and taste without tongue;
          Few understand Me.
          He who understands Me, sits in silence.
          Sivananda says: "Mysterious is that silence.
          Drown yourself in that silence
          And be happy."
        • Sandeep

            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 5, 2012
              Sandeep <sandeep1960@...> wrote:

              > I am.......while........neither am I.

              Excellent! And of course, there's always
              "I am what I am and that's all what I am" by Sri Popeyeji

              > On 05-06-2012 20:23, medit8ionsociety wrote:
              > >
              > > SIT IN SILENCE
              > >
              > > I am neither male nor female;
              > > I am neither dvaita (dualism) nor advaita (non­-dualism);
              > > I am neither saguna (with qualities) nor nirguna (without qualities);
              > > I am neither seer nor hearer;
              > > I am neither body nor mind;
              > > I am neither far nor near;
              > > I am neither black nor red;
              > > I am neither thin nor stout;
              > > I live neither by food nor by air;
              > > I neither move nor stop;
              > > I shall neither go to hell nor to heaven;
              > > I neither laugh nor weep;
              > > I work and yet I do not work;
              > > I hear without ears and see without eyes;
              > > I smell without nose and taste without tongue;
              > > Few understand Me.
              > > He who understands Me, sits in silence.
              > > Sivananda says: "Mysterious is that silence.
              > > Drown yourself in that silence
              > > And be happy."

            • Aideen Mckenna
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 5, 2012

                The moon’s full, isn’t it?

                Message 7 of 9 , May 24, 2013
                  Why Meditate

                  Without the help of meditation,
                  you cannot attain Knowledge of the Self.
                  Without it's aid, you cannot grow
                  into the divine state.
                  Without it, you cannot liberate yourself
                  from the trammels of the mind
                  and attain immortality.
                  Meditation is the only royal road
                  to the attainment of freedom.
                  It is a mysterious ladder which reaches
                  from earth to heaven, from error to truth,
                  from darkness to light, from pain to bliss,
                  from restlessness to abiding peace,
                  from ignorance to knowledge.
                  From mortality to immortality.

                  Swami Sivananda