Re: [Meditation Society of America] A Statement Sure to Cause Intellectual Debate

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 8, 2011
      sean tremblay <bethjams9@...> wrote:

      > can't debate something I have not experienced, I'll just have to take there word for it

      Yo Sean,
      I'm with you relative to the pregnancy part (at least in
      this incarnation), but as to the "enlightenment" part, in
      a way I suspect that this is something we've all had a taste
      of, but don't sustain it happily ever after (which may, or
      may not be a qualification of a "true" enlightenment.)

      Anyway, Here's Alan Watts, from his autobiography "In My
      Own Way" writing (probably/possibly) about enlightenment:

      "... the thing called variously moksha, bodhi, kaivalya,
      or satori in the Asian religions, which is the wisdom of
      a transformed consciousness, of liberation from that
      exclusive identification of oneself with personality
      which overlays and conceals the basic sensation in the
      very back of the mind: the sensation of being identical
      with the universe, which is said to be the "oceanic
      feeling" of babies in the womb. Some call this regression,
      in the sense of a spineless collapse of the thrust of life,
      though I have always seen it as a foundation for this
      thrust, without which the business of life must be
      conducted in a spirit of panic or "quiet desperation".
      (Isn't it possible that space itself is an amniotic fluid?)"
      permission from the copyright owner.