Ramana Maharshi on "Who Am I"

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 7, 2011
      1. Who am I ?

      The gross body which is composed of the seven
      humours (dhatus), I am not; the five cognitive
      sense organs, viz. the senses of hearing, touch,
      sight, taste, and smell, which apprehend their
      respective objects, viz. sound, touch, colour,
      taste, and odour, I am not; the five cognitive senseorgans,
      viz. the organs of speech, locomotion, grasping,
      excretion, and procreation, which have as
      their respective functions speaking, moving, grasping,
      excreting, and enjoying, I am not; the five
      vital airs, prana, etc., which perform respectively
      the five functions of in-breathing, etc., I am not;
      even the mind which thinks, I am not; the nescience
      too, which is endowed only with the residual
      impressions of objects, and in which there are no
      objects and no functioning's, I am not.

      2. If I am none of these, then who am I?

      After negating all of the above-mentioned as `not this',
      `not this', that Awareness which alone remains - that I am.

      3. What is the nature of Awareness?

      The nature of Awareness is existence-consciousness-bliss

      4. When will the realization of the Self be gained?

      When the world which is what-is-seen has been removed,
      there will be realization of the Self which is the seer.

      5. Will there not be realization of the Self even while
      the world is there (taken as real)?

      There will not be.

      6. Why?

      The seer and the object seen are like the rope and
      the snake. Just as the knowledge of the rope
      which is the substrate will not arise unless the
      false knowledge of the illusory serpent goes, so the
      realization of the Self which is the substrate will
      not be gained unless the belief that the world is
      real is removed.

      7. When will the world which is the object seen be removed?

      When the mind, which is the cause of all cognition's
      and of all actions, becomes quiescent, the
      world will disappear.

      10. How will the mind become quiescent?

      By the inquiry `Who am I?'. The thought `who am I?'
      will destroy all other thoughts, and like the
      stick used for stirring the burning pyre, it will
      itself in the end get destroyed. Then, there will arise
      Self-realization.
      permission from the copyright owner.
    • walto
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 8, 2011

        >By the inquiry `Who am I?'. The thought `who am I?'
        will destroy all other thoughts, and like the
        stick used for stirring the burning pyre, it will
        itself in the end get destroyed.

        That's a nice metaphor. Thanks for posting it.

      • dan330033
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 10, 2011
          --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "walto" <calhorn@...> wrote:

          > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, medit8ionsociety <no_reply@> wrote:
          > >
          > >By the inquiry `Who am I?'. The thought `who am I?'
          > will destroy all other thoughts, and like the
          > stick used for stirring the burning pyre, it will
          > itself in the end get destroyed.
          >
          > That's a nice metaphor. Thanks for posting it.

          Thanks for being destroyed by it.

          - D -