Re: [Meditation Society of America] A Statement Sure to Cause Intellectual Debate

  • sean tremblay
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 7, 2011
      can't debate something I have not experienced, I'll just have to take there word for it

      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 8, 2011
        sean tremblay <bethjams9@...> wrote:

        > can't debate something I have not experienced, I'll just have to take there word for it

        Yo Sean,
        I'm with you relative to the pregnancy part (at least in
        this incarnation), but as to the "enlightenment" part, in
        a way I suspect that this is something we've all had a taste
        of, but don't sustain it happily ever after (which may, or
        may not be a qualification of a "true" enlightenment.)

        Anyway, Here's Alan Watts, from his autobiography "In My
        Own Way" writing (probably/possibly) about enlightenment:

        "... the thing called variously moksha, bodhi, kaivalya,
        or satori in the Asian religions, which is the wisdom of
        a transformed consciousness, of liberation from that
        exclusive identification of oneself with personality
        which overlays and conceals the basic sensation in the
        very back of the mind: the sensation of being identical
        with the universe, which is said to be the "oceanic
        feeling" of babies in the womb. Some call this regression,
        in the sense of a spineless collapse of the thrust of life,
        though I have always seen it as a foundation for this
        thrust, without which the business of life must be
        conducted in a spirit of panic or "quiet desperation".
        (Isn't it possible that space itself is an amniotic fluid?)"
        permission from the copyright owner.