A Most Complete Mystic and Meditation Teaching
- DEVI SAYS:
O Shiva, what is your reality?
What is this wonder-filled universe?
What constitutes seed?
Who centers the universal wheel?
What is this life beyond form pervading forms?
How may we enter it fully, above space and
time, names and descriptions?
Let my doubts be cleared!
[Devi, though already enlightened, has asked the
foregoing questions so others through the universe
might receive Shiva's instructions. Now follow
Shiva's reply, giving the 112 ways.]
1. Radiant one, this experience may dawn between
two breaths. After breath comes in (down) and just
before turning up (out) the beneficence.
2. As breath turns from down to up, and again
as breath curves from up to downthrough both these
3. Or, whenever inbreath and outbreath fuse, at this
instant touch the energyless energy-filled center.
4. Or, when breath is all out (up) and stopped
of itself, or all in (down) and stoppedin such
universal pause, one's small self vanishes. This is
difficult only for the impure.
5. Consider your essence as light rays rising from
center to center up the vertebrae, and so rises livingness in you.
6. Or in the spaces between, feel this as lightning.
7. Devi, imagine the Sanskrit letters in these
honey-filled foci of awareness, first as letters,
then more subtly as sounds, then as most
subtle feeling. Then, leaving them aside, be free.
8. Attention between eyebrows, let mind be before
thought. Let form fill with breath-essence to the
top of the head, and there shower as light.
9. Or, imagine the five-colored circles of the
peacock tail to be your five senses in illimitable
space. Now let their beauty melt within. Similarly, at
any point in space or on a wall until the point
dissolves. Then your wish for another comes true.
10. Eyes closed, see your inner being in detail.
Thus see your true nature.
11. Place your whole attention in the nerve, delicate
as the lotus thread, in the center of your spinal
column. In such be transformed.
12. Closing the seven openings of the head with
your hands, a space between your eyes becomes all-inclusive.
13. Touching eyeballs as a feather, lightness between
them opens into heart and there permeates the cosmos.
14. Bathe in the center of sound, as in the continuous
sound of a waterfall. Or, by putting fingers in ears,
hear the sound of sounds.
15. Intone a sound, as a-u-m, slowly. As sound enters
soundfulness, so do you.
16. In the beginning and gradual refinement of
the sound of any letter, awake.
17. While listening to stringed instruments, hear
their composite central sound; thus omnipresence.
18. Intone a sound audibly, then less and less
audibly as feeling deepens into this silent harmony.
19. Imagine spirit simultaneously within and around
you until the entire universe spiritualizes.
20. Kind Devi, enter etheric presence pervading
far above and below your form.
21. Put mindstuff in such inexpressible fineness
above, below, and in your heart.
22. Consider any area of your present form as
23. Feel your substance, bones, flesh, blood,
saturated with cosmic essence.
24. Suppose your passive form to be an empty
room with walls of skin - empty.
25. Blessed one, as senses are absorbed in heart,
reach the center of the lotus.
26. Unminding mind, keep in the middle - until.
27. When in worldly activity, keep attentive between
the two breaths, and so practicing, in a few days
be born anew.
28. Focus on fire rising through your form from
the toes up until the body burns to ashes but not you.
29. Meditate on the make-believe world as
burning to ashes, and become being above human.
30. Feel the fine qualities of creativity permeating
your breasts and assuming delicate configurations.
31. With intangible breath in center of forehead,
as this reaches heart at the moment of sleep, have
direction over dreams and over death itself.
32. As, subjectively, letters flow into words
and words into sentences, and as, objectively, circles
flow into worlds and worlds into principles, find
at last these converging in our being.
33. Gracious one, play the universe is an empty
shell wherein your mind frolics infinitely.
34. Look upon a bowl without seeing the sides or
the material. In a few moments become aware.
35. Abide in some place endlessly spacious, clear
of trees, hills, habitations. Thence comes the end of mind pressures.
36. Sweet-hearted one, meditate on knowing and not
knowing, existing and not existing. Then leave both
aside that you may be.
37. Look lovingly on some object Do not go on
to another object. Here, in the middle of this object the blessing.
38. Feel cosmos as translucent ever-living presence.
39. With utmost devotion, center on the two junctions
of breath and know the knower.
40. Consider the plenum to be your own body of bliss.
41. While being caressed, sweet princess, enter
the caressing as everlasting life.
42. Stop the doors of senses when feeling the
creeping of an ant. Then.
43. At the start of sexual union, keep attention on
the fire in the beginning, and, so continuing, avoid
the embers in the end.
44. When in such embrace your senses are shaken as
leaves, enter this shaking.
45. Even remembering union, without the embrace, the transformation.
46. On joyously seeing a long-absent friend, permeate this joy.
47. When eating or drinking, become the taste of
the food or drink, and be filled.
48. 0 lotus-eyed one, sweet of touch, when singing,
seeing, tasting, be aware you are and discover the ever-living.
49. Wherever satisfaction is found, in whatever act, actualize this.
50. At the point of sleep when sleep has not yet
come and external wakefulness vanishes, at this point
being is revealed.
51. In summer when you see the entire sky endlessly
clear, enter such clarity.
52. Lie down as dead. Enraged in wrath, stay so.
Or stare without moving an eyelash. Or suck something
and become the sucking.
53. Without support for feet or hands, sit only
on buttocks. Suddenly, the centering.
54. In an easy position, gradually pervade an
area between the armpits into great peace.
55. See as if for the first time a beauteous person
or an ordinary object.
56. With mouth slightly open, keep mind in the middle
of tongue. Or, as breath comes silently in, feel the sound HH.
57. When on a bed or a seat, let yourself become
weightless, beyond mind.
58. In a moving vehicle, by rhythmically swaying,
experience. Or in a still vehicle, by letting yourself
swing in slowing invisible circles.
59. Simply by looking into the blue sky beyond
clouds, the serenity.
60. Shakti, see all space as if already absorbed in
your own head in the brilliance.
61. Waking, sleeping, dreaming, know you as light.
62. In rain during a black night, enter that blackness
as the form of forms.
63. When a moonless raining night is not present,
close eyes and find blackness before you. Opening eyes, see blackness. So faults disappear forever.
64. Just as you have the impulse to do something, stop.
65. Center on the sound a-u-m without any a or m
66. Silently intone a word ending in AH. Then in the
HH effortlessly, the spontaneity.
67. Feel yourself as pervading all directions, far, near.
68. Pierce some part of your nectar-filled form
with a pin, and gently enter the piercing.
69. Feel: My thought, I-ness, internal organsme.
70. Illusions deceive. Colors circumscribe. Even
divisibles are indivisible.
71. When some desire comes, consider it. Then, suddenly, quit it.
72. Before desire and before knowing, how can I say
I am? Consider. Dissolve in the beauty.
73. With your entire consciousness in the very start
of desire, of knowing, know.
74. 0 Shakti, each particular perception is limited,
disappearing in omnipotence.
75. In truth forms are inseparate. Inseparate are
omnipresent being and your own form. Realize each as
made of this consciousness.
76. In moods of extreme desire, be undisturbed.
77. This so-called universe appears as a juggling,
a picture show. To be happy look upon it so.
78. 0 Beloved, put attention neither on pleasure or pain
but between these.
79. Toss attachment for body aside, realizing I am
everywhere. One who is everywhere is joyous.
80. Objects and desires exist in me as in others.
So accepting, let them be translated.
81. The appreciation of objects and subjects is
the same for an enlightened as for an unenlightened
person. The former has one greatness: he remains in
the subjective mood, not lost in things.
82. Feel the consciousness of each person as your own
consciousness. So, leaving aside concern for self, become
83. Thinking no thing, will limited-self unlimited.
84. Believe omniscient, omnipotent, pervading.
85. As waves come with water and flames with fire,
so the universal waves with us.
86. Roam about until exhausted and then, dropping to
the ground, in this dropping be whole.
87. Suppose you are gradually being deprived of
strength or of knowledge. At the instant of deprivation,
88. Listen while the ultimate mystical teaching is
imparted: Eyes still, without winking, at once become
89. Stopping ears by pressing and rectum by contracting,
enter the sound of sound.
90. At the edge of a deep well look steadily into its
depths until the wondrousness.
91. Wherever your mind is wandering, internally or
externally at this very place, this.
92. When vividly aware through some particular sense,
keep in the awareness.
93. At the start of sneezing, during fright, in
anxiety, above a chasm, flying in battle, in extreme
curiosity, at the beginning of hunger, at the
end of hunger, be uninterruptedly aware.
94. Let attention be at a place where you are seeing
some past happening, and even your form, having
lost its present characteristics, is transformed.
95. Look upon some object, then slowly withdraw
your sight from it, then slowly withdraw your thought
from it. Then.
96. Devotion frees.
97. Feel an object before you. Feel the absence of
all other objects but this one. Then, leaving aside
the object-feeling and the absence-feeling, realize.
98. The purity of other teachings is as impurity to
us. In reality know nothing as pure or impure.
99. This consciousness exists as each being, and nothing
100. Be the unsame same to friend as to stranger,
in honor and dishonor.
101. When a mood against someone or for someone arises,
do not place it on the person in question, but remain centered.
102. Suppose you contemplate something beyond
perception, beyond grasping, beyond not being, you.
103. Enter space, supportless, eternal, still.
104. Wherever your attention alights, at this
very point, experience.
105. Enter the sound of your name and, through this
sound, all sounds.
106. I am existing. This is mine. This is this. 0 Beloved,
even in such know illimitably.
107. This consciousness is the spirit of guidance
of each one. Be this one.
108. Here is a sphere of change, change, change.
Through change consume change.
109. As a hen mothers her chicks, mother particular
knowings, particular doings, in reality.
110. Since, in truth, bondage and freedom are relative,
these words are only for those terrified with the
universe. This universe is a reflection of minds.
As you see many suns in water from one sun, so see
bondage and liberation.
111. Each thing is perceived through knowing. The self
shines in space through knowing. Perceive one being as
knower and known.
112. Beloved, at this moment let mind, knowing, breath,
form, be included.
Fair Use Notice: This document may contain
copyrighted material whose use has not been specifically
authorized by the copyright owners. I believe that
this not-for-profit, educational use on the Web
constitutes a fair use of the copyrighted material
(as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law).
If you wish to use this copyrighted material for purposes
of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain
permission from the copyright owner.