Re: What Box Are You Carrying?

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 30, 2011
      So Nasrudin was sipping tea with a few young students
      as they were retelling this "Box" story. The 1st one said:
      "There are at least 7 different ways to gain understanding
      from these type stories. For instance, we all have "boxes"
      that we fill with imaginary "snakes". And the snakes
      are representations of things like anger, plans for
      meeting desires, and other mind chatter that have no reality
      except in our mind." Another student then chimed in and said:
      "And we are so convinced of the reality of the snakes
      that our solution to the problem, the "mongoose", that we
      construct holes for the box so that our imaginary fear-defeater
      can breath (have life)." The 3rd student then added:
      "And as a Mullah would not drink alcohol, but rather
      would get drunk enough to hallucinate only from divine sources,
      the bartender would be a representation of a holy person
      who would serve us a drink of reality, and the "pub"
      is a holy place like a Mosque, where such a person
      could be found."
      This went on for quite a while and the students were
      obviously feeling very full of themselves about their
      wise insights.
      Mullah Nasrudin smiled, poured them all another drink
      and said:
      "Perhaps we can speculate that speculation weighs down
      a box more than any mongoose could."