What Box Are You Carrying?

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 27, 2011
      Mullah Nasrudin used to carry a box with
      some holes whenevervhe went to the pub to
      drink. The bar tender wondered what he
      was carrying in the box. One day he asked Nasrudin.
      Nasrudin explained, "Whenever I get drunk, I see
      snakes all around me. It is a very frightening sight.
      So, I carry a mongoose in this box. With this box
      near me, I do not get frightened."
      The bar tender told Nasrudin, "What a fool you are !!
      There are no snakes here. They are all only in your mind."
      Nasrudin replied, "I am not a fool. I know there are
      no snakes. There is no mongoose in this box either.
      The mongoose is also only in my mind".
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 30, 2011
        So Nasrudin was sipping tea with a few young students
        as they were retelling this "Box" story. The 1st one said:
        "There are at least 7 different ways to gain understanding
        from these type stories. For instance, we all have "boxes"
        that we fill with imaginary "snakes". And the snakes
        are representations of things like anger, plans for
        meeting desires, and other mind chatter that have no reality
        except in our mind." Another student then chimed in and said:
        "And we are so convinced of the reality of the snakes
        that our solution to the problem, the "mongoose", that we
        construct holes for the box so that our imaginary fear-defeater
        can breath (have life)." The 3rd student then added:
        "And as a Mullah would not drink alcohol, but rather
        would get drunk enough to hallucinate only from divine sources,
        the bartender would be a representation of a holy person
        who would serve us a drink of reality, and the "pub"
        is a holy place like a Mosque, where such a person
        could be found."
        This went on for quite a while and the students were
        obviously feeling very full of themselves about their
        wise insights.
        Mullah Nasrudin smiled, poured them all another drink
        and said:
        "Perhaps we can speculate that speculation weighs down
        a box more than any mongoose could."