Zen Wisdom

    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 14, 2011
      "But the transformation of consciousness undertaken
      in Taoism and Zen is more like the correction of
      faulty perception or the curing of a disease. It is
      not an acquisitive process of learning more and more
      facts or greater and greater skills, but rather an
      unlearning of wrong habits and opinions. As Lao-tzu
      said, "The scholar gains every day, but the Taoist
      loses every day."

      Alan Wilson Watts, The Joyous Cosmology
      permission from the copyright owner.
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 14, 2011
        Soyen Shaku, the first Zen teacher to come
        to America, said: 'My heart burns like fire
        but my eyes are as cold as dead ashes.'

        He made the following rules, which he practiced
        every day of his life.

        In the morning before dressing, light incense
        and meditate. Retire at a regular hour.

        Partake of food at regular intervals.
        Eat with moderation and never to the point
        of satisfaction.

        Receive a guest with the same attitude you
        have when alone. When alone, maintain the same
        attitude you have in receiving guests.

        Watch what you say, and whatever you say, practice it.
        When an opportunity comes do not let it pass by,
        yet always think twice before acting. Do not regret
        the past. Look to the future.

        Have the fearless attitude of a hero and the
        loving heart of a child.

        Upon retiring sleep as if you had entered your
        last sleep. Upon awakening, leave your bed behind
        you instantly as if you had cast away a pair of old shoes. ----------------------------------------------------------
        permission from the copyright owner.