Re: [Meditation Society of America] Re: "Right Effort"

  • sean tremblay
    Message 1 of 200 , Sep 6, 2011
      at this point I really don't get it

      From: dan330033 <dan330033@...>
      To: meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Tuesday, September 6, 2011 1:11 PM
      Subject: [Meditation Society of America] Re: "Right Effort"

      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "walto" <calhorn@...> wrote:

      > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "dan330033" <dan330033@> wrote:
      > >
      > > You don't know what I'm getting or not getting, Walto.
      > >
      > > What you think you know, is what an image in your mind that you've constructed after reading words - is getting or not getting.
      > >
      > > But ... really, you don't even know that.
      > >
      > > There isn't anything to get, my friend, nor anyone existing apart who could get something like that, even if it could have existed ...
      > >
      > > - D -
      > >

      > Again, I disagree. In fact, I don't believe there are any such things as "mental images" at all. I think they're a fiction. I may have beliefs that are incorrect, but they need not (and, I believe don't) involve any such thingies as "mental images."
      >
      > Anyhow, like most members of this group, I understand English, which is the language you are using to post. and while I disagree with what you are writing, that requires me to understand it--at least to the extent required by communication. Furthermore, as you write as if you are disagreeing with what I've written, (although you also like to write as if you are denying this) I believe you also understand me--to some extent at any rate.
      >
      > And I note here (what I believe is perfectly obvious) that not only is it the case that your posts are not identical to my posts, you are not identical to me. (In fact, I've just had some trail mix--have you?) All that, is what there is to get, and, IMHO, you in fact DO get it--just as everyone else reading here does.
      >
      > Best,

      There isn't anything to disagree with, Walto.

      Unless you feel a need to disagree.

      Then, you can construct something to disagree with.

      Or not, as the case may be.

      - D -

      Message 200 of 200 , Feb 9, 2016
        Watch your mind. Watch your breath. Become an observer, which is the key to Jnana Yoga. Don’t worry about particular techniques. Just sit back and observe the breath, mind, and thoughts. Just see what’s happening within you. Become a witness, which is a wonderful form of meditation. Be still and watch what is happening in your mind and in your body. Maybe you have been repeating a mantra or focusing on one object for a time. You may then relax and sit calmly and watch the mind; observe the peaceful vibrations that come. Listen to the silence completely. Observe your own brain. See how peaceful you are. The mind seems to be totally at rest. You might think the mind is almost asleep, yet you are still conscious of the whole thing. The body is resting. The breath has very much slowed. The mind is almost sleeping but you are aware of everything.

        Ask yourself, “Who is aware of them? What is this awareness? Who knows all these things? That is You, the Knower. You are totally different from your body, from your mind. You are the witness—what you call the Self, the pure Self—the witness of the body and mind. If you could maintain this witnessing constantly, still knowing you are the witness all the time, you would reach Self-awareness or

        Self-realization. Keep up this awareness, even in your day-to-day activities. When you are eating, when you are walking, and especially when you are distressed, you can still witness. You will constantly enjoy supreme peace. Through this practice you become the master of your own body and mind. You’ll walk through life like an undisturbed sage.