Re: "Right Effort"

  • dan330033
    Message 1 of 193 , Sep 6, 2011
      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "walto" <calhorn@...> wrote:

      > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "dan330033" <dan330033@> wrote:
      > >
      > > You don't know what I'm getting or not getting, Walto.
      > >
      > > What you think you know, is what an image in your mind that you've constructed after reading words - is getting or not getting.
      > >
      > > But ... really, you don't even know that.
      > >
      > > There isn't anything to get, my friend, nor anyone existing apart who could get something like that, even if it could have existed ...
      > >
      > > - D -
      > >

      > Again, I disagree. In fact, I don't believe there are any such things as "mental images" at all. I think they're a fiction. I may have beliefs that are incorrect, but they need not (and, I believe don't) involve any such thingies as "mental images."
      >
      > Anyhow, like most members of this group, I understand English, which is the language you are using to post. and while I disagree with what you are writing, that requires me to understand it--at least to the extent required by communication. Furthermore, as you write as if you are disagreeing with what I've written, (although you also like to write as if you are denying this) I believe you also understand me--to some extent at any rate.
      >
      > And I note here (what I believe is perfectly obvious) that not only is it the case that your posts are not identical to my posts, you are not identical to me. (In fact, I've just had some trail mix--have you?) All that, is what there is to get, and, IMHO, you in fact DO get it--just as everyone else reading here does.
      >
      > Best,

      There isn't anything to disagree with, Walto.

      Unless you feel a need to disagree.

      Then, you can construct something to disagree with.

      Or not, as the case may be.

      - D -
      Message 193 of 193 , Dec 25, 2014

        Question: I have a growing desire to see God. It has become the thing I want most. But no matter how much I long for Him, my worldly duties and needs get in the way. Can you help me?

        Sri Swami Satchidananda: How do you know that you have not seen Him? I heard Him saying, "I have been in front of this person so many times, but he never even recognized Me. He was calling, calling, calling for Me. So I went there many times, stood right in front of him, and he didn't even bother to look at Me. He just brushed Me aside and kept on saying, 'God, where are You? Where are You?'"

        Before you look for God, you should know what He looks like, or at least what God is. God has no particular form, but He appears in all forms and names. It is with His consciousness that I am saying all these things; and with His consciousness, you are listening. To simplify it, we say that God is all consciousness - superconsciousness, cosmic consciousness - or peace. God is already there in you as peace, but you disturb your peace by searching for God. Stop searching and disturbing your peace, and you will experience God. A disturbed mind can never understand God. Looking for God is not our first and foremost duty. Our first and foremost duty is to take care not to let the mind lose its peace. You don't have to make the mind peaceful. If you leave it alone, it is peaceful. In our own lives we should see that we don't lose our peace due to our thoughts, words, actions.

        Learn to remain undisturbed, unshakeable, as steady as the Rock of Gibraltar. You should treasure the peace of your mind so much that nothing, nothing, nothing would shake you. You should be ready to renounce anything and everything that is going to disturb your peace. Name, fame, money, power, position, relatives, friends - all should be secondary to maintaining your peace. Everything else is nothing compared to peace of mind. With that peace, you will easily see God.

        Om shant. Om shanti. Om shanti.