Re: "Right Effort"

  • walto
    Message 1 of 200 , Sep 4, 2011
      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "dan330033" <dan330033@...> wrote:

      > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "walto" <calhorn@> wrote:

      > > Maybe I just disagree with you? We could agree to disagree: In fact, each could acknowledge that the other was correct and that his position wasn't necessarily a function of some psychological defect. I'm willing to do that--Are you?
      > > >

      > > I didn't put that well. Obviously, neither of us is likely to acknowledge that the other is "correct." I should have said something like "each could acknowledge that the other takes a different view of the matter, but that his position isn't necessarily a function of some psychological defect or incompleteness. I'm willing to do that--Are you?"
      > >
      > > Sorry for any confusion.

      > there is no separably existing "you" to hold a view, nor is there any way that sentences being typed can constitute an actual view that can be agreed with or disagreed with.

      Right. Here's what you're not getting: what you have written above is something I disagree with. That is, it is my view that you're wrong that there is no separately existing me for you to disagree with. (You could write that six more times and I still would think it's quite false--Seven or more times, I make no promises...)

      OTOH, "Sentences being typed" can refer either to what philosophers call types or to what they call tokens, so, depending on what you what you intended, It seems very likely to me, though, that you have disagreed with what I have written in the very post to which I'm now responding. I guess it's Eastern to say in one breath "You're wrong that you are independent and have views separate from mine" and "There is nothing you write that I could disagree with because we aren't actually separate." Such contradictions do have a nice Eastern feel to them and make one pleasantly dizzy, but are not my thing nevertheless.

      Your position is no doubt sexier and more "spiritual"--plus it's nice for nothing to require effort. I nevertheless don't agree with it.

      Strange as it may seem, however, I don't like to argue. Although I'm admittedly quite often wrong (about nearly everything), it's also my view that that happens to be the case with everyone. Almost everybody is almost always wrong about almost everything. I'm quite cognizant of the fact that I'm not likely to convince anybody (and, as said, my views are not too sexy, even if I've leaned on the Eightfold Path to make them, so I'll shut up now. Plus (as you sensibly suggest below) it sucks to be late for dinner.

      Best wishes,

      Message 200 of 200 , Feb 9, 2016
        Watch your mind. Watch your breath. Become an observer, which is the key to Jnana Yoga. Don’t worry about particular techniques. Just sit back and observe the breath, mind, and thoughts. Just see what’s happening within you. Become a witness, which is a wonderful form of meditation. Be still and watch what is happening in your mind and in your body. Maybe you have been repeating a mantra or focusing on one object for a time. You may then relax and sit calmly and watch the mind; observe the peaceful vibrations that come. Listen to the silence completely. Observe your own brain. See how peaceful you are. The mind seems to be totally at rest. You might think the mind is almost asleep, yet you are still conscious of the whole thing. The body is resting. The breath has very much slowed. The mind is almost sleeping but you are aware of everything.

        Ask yourself, “Who is aware of them? What is this awareness? Who knows all these things? That is You, the Knower. You are totally different from your body, from your mind. You are the witness—what you call the Self, the pure Self—the witness of the body and mind. If you could maintain this witnessing constantly, still knowing you are the witness all the time, you would reach Self-awareness or

        Self-realization. Keep up this awareness, even in your day-to-day activities. When you are eating, when you are walking, and especially when you are distressed, you can still witness. You will constantly enjoy supreme peace. Through this practice you become the master of your own body and mind. You’ll walk through life like an undisturbed sage.