Re: [Meditation Society of America] Words of Wisdom by Swami Chidananda

  • cris angel
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 4, 2011

      Your words and flow are with waters of Grace....eternal heart and ear

      Cris Angel
      Mbl sent

      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 9, 2012
        People also suffer due to egoism, arrogance,
        exaggerated self-importance. If you feel you
        are not getting the proper respect, or are being
        treated in a slipshod manner, you can be terribly
        upset, incensed for the whole day. "That person
        ignored me, or spoke to me in that way; this person
        did not pay me the respect I am due; they did not
        give me the right seat." Because you feel you are
        important, all these things can cause misery, sorrow
        and torment. They are not from outside, but are
        self-created, coming from within yourself.

        Discretion being the better part of valor, it is
        usually possible to escape from things outside you
        or to be far away from them. You can master the external
        objects and say: "No, I will not let them interfere
        with my inner peace of mind." You may be able to avoid
        them entirely. But how can you avoid things that emanate
        from within you? You cannot run away from yourself.
        So you have to realize that greater danger lies within
        yourself, more harm can be done to yourself by yourself
        than by all the objects of the external world put
        together. Hence you will have to engage yourself in
        an inner discipline, inner transformation, an inner
        restoration of a right state of affairs within yourself.

        Think about it. Then you will find that because the
        state of affairs within you is not right, you are caused
        much misery. You are made restless. You are at the mercy
        of these things which come from within. And if you are
        not able to clearly recognise their presence within you,
        or if they are vague and illusive, you cannot deal with
        them. You know that they are there when they manifest,
        but otherwise you do not know where they are hiding, in
        what form they are lurking in the depths of your mind.
        Unless you find out, it is not possible to deal with
        them. How can you deal with an unknown, unseen adversary?
        They have to be brought to the surface. They have to be
        cornered. You have to go after them.

        That is why Guru Maharaj Swami Sivananda said: "Sit alone,
        turn your mind inward, introspect, do self-examination,
        try to find out what is within yourself, analyse the
        inner contents." This is indispensable. Otherwise you will
        not know yourself. And you will be surprised, amazed and
        even dismayed by what things can come up from within
        yourself when you sit for meditation, for example, or
        when you are moving about in society. You will discover
        things you never dreamt of, things you never suspected
        you are capable of. You can be such a stinker. You can
        be such a nasty person. Or, you can be dismayed by
        seeing within yourself qualities you cannot stand in
        others. Suddenly, you humbly experience, they are there,
        right within you. It is a chastening experience.

        If you are honest with yourself, if you are wise and if
        you are keenly introspective and analytical, then these
        things can be found out. However, they are not found out
        in a day. One day's introspection will reveal nothing.
        One week's introspection will reveal nothing. They have
        been there for decades, from your birth, maybe from
        another birth. Therefore, you must be after this sadhana,
        this process of self-introspection, analysis, self-examination.

        If you practice this unrelentingly, with determination,
        if you persevere in this sadhana, you will be rewarded with
        a lot of knowledge, a lot of revelation about yourself. Then
        you are in a position to bring about the desired change, not otherwise. Until you know yourself, you cannot work upon
        yourself, you will not be able to turn brass into gold, to
        bring about the transformation that Yoga and sadhana are
        supposed to bring about, that Guru, mantra, japa, prayer,
        worship and bhajan are supposed to bring about. And they
        must bring it about, but only when they are accompanied by
        this type of honest self-examination, earnest introspection,
        sincere desire to find out, see, know yourself, to discover
        the inner contents of your mind.
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 12, 2012
          Worship God as Virtue

          "Have no other God. You can contemplate God, you can
          contemplate eternity, infinity, ocean of bliss, Light of
          lights beyond all darkness — all these things you can contemplate,
          think about, reflect over, but you cannot love and worship peace,
          or ananda, or jnana. Because they are abstruse, abstract concepts,
          and you want something more, something for which you can live and something for which you can be prepared to die also. That is virtue.

          Read the sixteenth chapter of the Bhagavad Gita*, you will understand. Worship God as Virtue. Worship virtue by practicing virtue.
          This is a way to spiritual transformation and realization."

          Swami Chidananda

          *CHAPTER 16

          16.01 The Supreme Lord said: Fearlessness, purity of heart, perseverance in the yoga of knowledge, charity, sense restraint, sacrifice, study of the scriptures, austerity, honesty;

          16.02 Nonviolence, truthfulness, absence of anger, renunciation, equanimity, abstaining from malicious talk, compassion for all creatures, freedom from greed, gentleness, modesty, absence of fickleness;

          16.03 Splendor, forgiveness, fortitude, cleanliness, absence of malice, and absence of pride; these are the qualities of those endowed with divine virtues, O Arjuna.