Words of Wisdom by Swami Satchidananda

    Message 1 of 201 , Sep 3, 2011
      How to Understand Suffering

      "If we understand suffering, then it's no longer
      suffering. To give an example, a mother who gives
      birth to a child faces a lot of suffering, is it
      not so? But behind that suffering the mother knows
      that she's going to have a lovely baby, so she
      faces it; in fact, she wants and accepts it. Once
      you accept it, it's no longer suffering. Then there's
      joy behind it. In the same way, if pain is understood
      properly in our lives, we'll never be frightened of
      it. On the other hand, we might even welcome the pain.
      `Oh pain, come on. Help me to get rid of all the dross.
      Refine me.' A refined person is one who allowed his or
      her dross to go away through suffering.

      "God bless you. Om Shanthi, Shanthi, Shanthi."

      Follow Swami Satchidananda on Twitter at
      twitter.com/SwSatchidananda for daily inspiration.
      Message 201 of 201 , Jul 24
        "When even one virtue becomes our nature, the mind becomes clean and tranquil. Then there is no need to practice meditation; we will automatically be meditating always."
        Sri Gurudev Swami Satchidananda