Words of Wisdom by Swami Satchidananda

    Message 1 of 199 , Sep 3 5:11 PM
      How to Understand Suffering

      "If we understand suffering, then it's no longer
      suffering. To give an example, a mother who gives
      birth to a child faces a lot of suffering, is it
      not so? But behind that suffering the mother knows
      that she's going to have a lovely baby, so she
      faces it; in fact, she wants and accepts it. Once
      you accept it, it's no longer suffering. Then there's
      joy behind it. In the same way, if pain is understood
      properly in our lives, we'll never be frightened of
      it. On the other hand, we might even welcome the pain.
      `Oh pain, come on. Help me to get rid of all the dross.
      Refine me.' A refined person is one who allowed his or
      her dross to go away through suffering.

      "God bless you. Om Shanthi, Shanthi, Shanthi."

      Follow Swami Satchidananda on Twitter at
      twitter.com/SwSatchidananda for daily inspiration.
    • T Koenke Diaz
      Message 199 of 199 , May 23
        This is just so right on.  Thank you once again  :)