Re: Words of Wisdom by Swami Satchidananda

  • dan330033
    Message 1 of 199 , Aug 29, 2011
      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "walto" <calhorn@...> wrote:

      > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "dan330033" <dan330033@> wrote:
      >
      > > To see with no bias involves no effort.
      > >
      > > Effort comes from trying to see a certain way, which involves a bias.
      > >
      > > To see with no bias is effortless, involves no walls, no prejudice for or against.
      > >
      > > It is an open vista, so to speak - nothing constrains it.
      > >

      > Why wouldn't bias-free seeing require (as one would expect) the immense effort and re-training required to cast off years (maybe decades) of parental and societal instruction?

      d: because any effort an individual makes is aimed at a result. a desired result is an image held/believed - which is bias.

      you assume that you are throwing off years of instruction. therefore you are assuming you have an existence of your own which has been falsely conditioned by things that happened in the past.

      you assume you have a past.

      you assume you can throw it off.

      all these assumptions dissolve.

      effortlessly, because there is no separably existing being to make any effort, nor any outcome for such a being to gain from.

      > And how would we know when we'd achieved bias-free seeing?

      d: thinking there is an achievement to be had, is already bias.

      > Surely the sole fact of not caring one way or another wouldn't be dispositive--(because sometimes that's evidence of different sorts of bias--e.g., one that absolves us from the responsibilities of actions we have taken).

      d: yes, agreed. not caring a kind of bias - the bias involved in the belief that one exists separately as a being who can care or not care.

      *being* (being that has no other, no opposite state) is neither caring nor uncaring - because not having a separable position from which to "relate" to things, beings, states of consciousness, and so on.

      > Thanks.

      and thank you -

      - d -
    • T Koenke Diaz
      Message 199 of 199 , May 23
        This is just so right on.  Thank you once again  :)