Re: Words of Wisdom by Swami Satchidananda

  • dan330033
    Message 1 of 200 , Aug 29, 2011
      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "walto" <calhorn@...> wrote:

      > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "dan330033" <dan330033@> wrote:
      >
      > > To see with no bias involves no effort.
      > >
      > > Effort comes from trying to see a certain way, which involves a bias.
      > >
      > > To see with no bias is effortless, involves no walls, no prejudice for or against.
      > >
      > > It is an open vista, so to speak - nothing constrains it.
      > >

      > Why wouldn't bias-free seeing require (as one would expect) the immense effort and re-training required to cast off years (maybe decades) of parental and societal instruction?

      d: because any effort an individual makes is aimed at a result. a desired result is an image held/believed - which is bias.

      you assume that you are throwing off years of instruction. therefore you are assuming you have an existence of your own which has been falsely conditioned by things that happened in the past.

      you assume you have a past.

      you assume you can throw it off.

      all these assumptions dissolve.

      effortlessly, because there is no separably existing being to make any effort, nor any outcome for such a being to gain from.

      > And how would we know when we'd achieved bias-free seeing?

      d: thinking there is an achievement to be had, is already bias.

      > Surely the sole fact of not caring one way or another wouldn't be dispositive--(because sometimes that's evidence of different sorts of bias--e.g., one that absolves us from the responsibilities of actions we have taken).

      d: yes, agreed. not caring a kind of bias - the bias involved in the belief that one exists separately as a being who can care or not care.

      *being* (being that has no other, no opposite state) is neither caring nor uncaring - because not having a separable position from which to "relate" to things, beings, states of consciousness, and so on.

      > Thanks.

      and thank you -

      - d -
      Message 200 of 200 , Feb 9, 2016
        Watch your mind. Watch your breath. Become an observer, which is the key to Jnana Yoga. Don’t worry about particular techniques. Just sit back and observe the breath, mind, and thoughts. Just see what’s happening within you. Become a witness, which is a wonderful form of meditation. Be still and watch what is happening in your mind and in your body. Maybe you have been repeating a mantra or focusing on one object for a time. You may then relax and sit calmly and watch the mind; observe the peaceful vibrations that come. Listen to the silence completely. Observe your own brain. See how peaceful you are. The mind seems to be totally at rest. You might think the mind is almost asleep, yet you are still conscious of the whole thing. The body is resting. The breath has very much slowed. The mind is almost sleeping but you are aware of everything.

        Ask yourself, “Who is aware of them? What is this awareness? Who knows all these things? That is You, the Knower. You are totally different from your body, from your mind. You are the witness—what you call the Self, the pure Self—the witness of the body and mind. If you could maintain this witnessing constantly, still knowing you are the witness all the time, you would reach Self-awareness or

        Self-realization. Keep up this awareness, even in your day-to-day activities. When you are eating, when you are walking, and especially when you are distressed, you can still witness. You will constantly enjoy supreme peace. Through this practice you become the master of your own body and mind. You’ll walk through life like an undisturbed sage.