Words of Wisdom by Swami Chidananda

    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 14, 2011
      " This Moment"

      "True life is made up of "now." True life is
      not made up of bygone yesterdays or uncertain
      tomorrows. What we have is like a lump of clay
      in a sculptor's hands or a piece of gold in a
      goldsmith's shop. We can create out of it what
      we will. At this moment, what are we doing with
      the time we have? Are we thinking of something
      else? Are we forming opinions of people who are
      sitting beside us or of the person speaking to
      us? Or, are we engaged in making our life sublime,
      enriching ourselves, uplifting ourselves, drawing
      nearer to the Divine, and awakening within,
      unfolding ourselves, shining with the awakened
      light? What are we engaged in doing in this moment?

      This moment, this concept, this word, this fact,
      this truth is the most tremendous truth of life.
      Life is made up of this moment and this moment
      only—not of dead yesterdays nor of unborn tomorrows.
      But your life to each one of you is not even today.
      It is this moment. This moment is what we
      effectively have. Other aspects of time are
      what you imagine you have. Other aspects of
      time are present in your mind as ideas and concepts.
      They are most deceptive ideas.

      This moment is God. God comes to you as this moment.
      He does not descend in some sort of supramundane shape
      and size with lights flashing and sound emanating.
      He comes silently as this moment. Now is God. He
      constantly keeps coming to you as now, as this moment.
      We have to help God to help us when He comes as
      kaloham—I am time, I am life".

      If you make this moment all that it ought to be, it
      will bring something improved the next moment.
      Because you have already enriched yourself this
      moment, the next moment will be built upon it and
      therefore be one step higher and maybe one shade
      brighter. Each moment can be an ascending step, a
      manifestation of a brighter light from within you.
      Moment by moment illumination is attained. Moment
      by moment enlightenment is brought about. Moment
      by moment is liberation ultimately experienced.
      Moment by moment is the supreme Goal achieved.

      You do not have to wait for any moment; you do not
      have to exercise patience. On the contrary, the moment
      does not wait. It comes before you with each breath.
      Therefore, great mystics have said: "O Lord with
      every breath may I remember You. With every breath
      of my life may I ever seek to draw nearer to You."
      Because the moment does not wait, it does not tarry.
      If you take it and live it, then you have it. If you
      daydream, allow yourself to be diverted elsewhere,
      get bogged down in something else, then you lose it.
      It is no longer yours; it is gone forever.

      Each moment is your real wealth, more precious than
      gold, diamonds and precious stones. Each moment is
      your very life. Each moment is what you are and what
      you can be. There is nothing that can compare to it.
      The tremendous importance of the moment, the incomparable
      value of the moment, is the most important insight
      and understanding that a living individual must have.
      "My wealth is each moment that is before me now. It
      is now I have to live my life, not in yesterdays or
      tomorrows. I have but this moment to live, to mould
      and to fashion, to make something out of it. This is
      my effective life."

      Remember, we do not have to work for it, we do not
      have to ask for it. It is constantly being given,
      constantly. It is always immediate. It comes. It does
      not delay, but you cannot ask it to wait. You cannot
      afford to allow it to pass by and then imagine you
      can do something about it. When it has passed, it is
      no longer yours. When you confront it, it is yours;
      you are master of the situation, you have full claim.
      It allows itself to be taken by you and made use of
      in any way you like.
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 4, 2011
        The Power of Persistence

        Come out of the cage of your little, egoistical,
        selfish personality. Renounce and sacrifice
        this selfish personality at the altar of humanity.
        Where there is no "I", where there is no mind,
        where there is no selfishness, there is ideal
        karma yoga. It becomes upasana (worship).

        You can be established in a state where even
        though acting, you are no more acting. Karma or
        work cannot bind you because you are acting without
        sense of doership. The feeling "I am doing" is not
        there; rather, "He is getting it done through me."
        You are a witness of your own activity, a witness
        of your own actions, and the poison of kartritva
        or sense of doer-ship is removed from the activity;
        it becomes sublime activity. Then it is God's will
        that manifests itself through you.

        To be established in this state of inner absence
        of self, one has to diligently pursue a method of
        sadhana (daily spiritual practice) and persist in
        it, diligently continue to negate the ego, negate
        the self. It does not come in a day, but it comes
        if you are persistent.

        In his "Song of Eighteen Ities," Gurudev has used
        two expressions that seem more or less similar in
        their meaning. He used the expression "fixity": being
        firm, firmly fixed in your vow, in your pratijna
        (resolve), in your determination. Be firmly fixed,
        let nothing shake you. Become so established in
        your niyama (observance) that nothing can move you.
        Fixity indicates a certain attitude, a state that
        you have achieved or attained in your interior.
        You have become strong within, unshakable within,
        firm within.

        While fixity involves a certain inner state you
        have reached after much diligence and struggle,
        the second expression, "tenacity," indicates an
        attitude, a certain inner attitude with which you
        live your life, engage in your sadhana. And that
        attitude is a firm resolution not to give up no
        matter what obstacles come, no matter what setbacks,
        no matter what disappointments or discouragements.

        "I will not leave my pursuit until and unless I
        get complete success in it. I shall not give up
        this sadhana, I shall continue with this abhyasa
        (practice), I will not give up"—this attitude is
        called tenacity. Having taken up something wise,
        something good, never to abandon it, never to leave
        it, to be determined to come out victorious—this
        attitude is called tenacity.

        Tenacity is different from obstinacy. Obstinacy
        is a negative, tamasic quality. You should not have
        tenacity with regard to some wrong things that you
        might have taken up in a state of folly. Tenacity
        is a positive quality, sattvic: never to swerve from
        your purpose, from your determination. In this way,
        there should be in the heart of the sadhak (one who
        is getting or trying to get realization)the
        determined adherence to one's ideals, and one must
        be established in an inner state which is unassailable,
        not affected by anything.

        A person of a very negative nature does not commence
        any serious undertaking due to hesitancy. "Oh, if
        I undertake this, who knows, afterwards this difficulty
        may come, that obstacle may come." So thinking,
        even though he intends to have a good life and do
        good things, because of this nervousness and fear
        of obstacles, he never does them. This is not good.
        There are others who no doubt start doing something
        good, but when obstacles and troubles come in their
        way, they give it up. But the real spiritual seeker,
        the real sadhak, once having taken up something,
        no matter how many obstacles or difficulties come,
        how many adverse circumstances face him, he always
        thinks, "No, I'll never leave it! I have taken this
        up, I will see it through, I shall not be deterred
        by anything." This is the uttama adhikari (best
        qualified aspirant).

        That is the thing needful in your spiritual life.
        Fixity of principles, and tenacity—never to let go.
        It leads to success. Lord Krishna says in His Gita
        jnana upades (wisdom teaching): "Never leave your
        abhyasa, never give up your abhyasa. Because that
        is the secret of success and attainment. You may
        fail, that does not matter. If you are persistent
        in your abhyasa you will attain Me." A seemingly
        impossible thing becomes possible in the face of
        sheer persistent abhyasa, regular, unfailing, unbroken
        abhyasa. It breaks down all barriers; it breaks down
        all obstacles on the way; it overcomes all hurdles
        and reaches the goal. This is the type of nature that
        the sadhak should seek to develop within himself.
        In that lies the guarantee of his success.

        May the grace of the Supreme Lord be upon you, be
        upon your spiritual life, be upon your spiritual
        striving, so that casting aside any doubt, any
        misgivings like, "whether I shall attain or not,
        whether I shall succeed or not, whether I have
        chosen the right thing or not," and not allowing
        any such misgivings or doubts to come into the mind,
        with determination and tenacity, be firmly
        established in sadhana. Let your sadhana, your
        abhyasa be akhanda (unbroken). And with firm faith
        and determination, may you through such unbroken
        sadhana enter into that supreme state which is
        beyond sorrow and suffering, which is peace and
        joy! For that is your birthright. For that attainment
        alone you have been born as a human being and with
        good samskaras (mental impressions) and good vasanas
        (subtle desires). May you not be indifferent to your
        own highest welfare. May you be serious in your
        sadhana. May God shower grace upon you!
        Much more by and about Swami Chidananda can be
        found on this spiritual treasure:
        http://www.divyajivan.org/
      • cris angel
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 4, 2011

          Your words and flow are with waters of Grace....eternal heart and ear

          Cris Angel
          Mbl sent

          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 9, 2012
            People also suffer due to egoism, arrogance,
            exaggerated self-importance. If you feel you
            are not getting the proper respect, or are being
            treated in a slipshod manner, you can be terribly
            upset, incensed for the whole day. "That person
            ignored me, or spoke to me in that way; this person
            did not pay me the respect I am due; they did not
            give me the right seat." Because you feel you are
            important, all these things can cause misery, sorrow
            and torment. They are not from outside, but are
            self-created, coming from within yourself.

            Discretion being the better part of valor, it is
            usually possible to escape from things outside you
            or to be far away from them. You can master the external
            objects and say: "No, I will not let them interfere
            with my inner peace of mind." You may be able to avoid
            them entirely. But how can you avoid things that emanate
            from within you? You cannot run away from yourself.
            So you have to realize that greater danger lies within
            yourself, more harm can be done to yourself by yourself
            than by all the objects of the external world put
            together. Hence you will have to engage yourself in
            an inner discipline, inner transformation, an inner
            restoration of a right state of affairs within yourself.

            Think about it. Then you will find that because the
            state of affairs within you is not right, you are caused
            much misery. You are made restless. You are at the mercy
            of these things which come from within. And if you are
            not able to clearly recognise their presence within you,
            or if they are vague and illusive, you cannot deal with
            them. You know that they are there when they manifest,
            but otherwise you do not know where they are hiding, in
            what form they are lurking in the depths of your mind.
            Unless you find out, it is not possible to deal with
            them. How can you deal with an unknown, unseen adversary?
            They have to be brought to the surface. They have to be
            cornered. You have to go after them.

            That is why Guru Maharaj Swami Sivananda said: "Sit alone,
            turn your mind inward, introspect, do self-examination,
            try to find out what is within yourself, analyse the
            inner contents." This is indispensable. Otherwise you will
            not know yourself. And you will be surprised, amazed and
            even dismayed by what things can come up from within
            yourself when you sit for meditation, for example, or
            when you are moving about in society. You will discover
            things you never dreamt of, things you never suspected
            you are capable of. You can be such a stinker. You can
            be such a nasty person. Or, you can be dismayed by
            seeing within yourself qualities you cannot stand in
            others. Suddenly, you humbly experience, they are there,
            right within you. It is a chastening experience.

            If you are honest with yourself, if you are wise and if
            you are keenly introspective and analytical, then these
            things can be found out. However, they are not found out
            in a day. One day's introspection will reveal nothing.
            One week's introspection will reveal nothing. They have
            been there for decades, from your birth, maybe from
            another birth. Therefore, you must be after this sadhana,
            this process of self-introspection, analysis, self-examination.

            If you practice this unrelentingly, with determination,
            if you persevere in this sadhana, you will be rewarded with
            a lot of knowledge, a lot of revelation about yourself. Then
            you are in a position to bring about the desired change, not otherwise. Until you know yourself, you cannot work upon
            yourself, you will not be able to turn brass into gold, to
            bring about the transformation that Yoga and sadhana are
            supposed to bring about, that Guru, mantra, japa, prayer,
            worship and bhajan are supposed to bring about. And they
            must bring it about, but only when they are accompanied by
            this type of honest self-examination, earnest introspection,
            sincere desire to find out, see, know yourself, to discover
            the inner contents of your mind.
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 12, 2012
              Worship God as Virtue

              "Have no other God. You can contemplate God, you can
              contemplate eternity, infinity, ocean of bliss, Light of
              lights beyond all darkness — all these things you can contemplate,
              think about, reflect over, but you cannot love and worship peace,
              or ananda, or jnana. Because they are abstruse, abstract concepts,
              and you want something more, something for which you can live and something for which you can be prepared to die also. That is virtue.

              Read the sixteenth chapter of the Bhagavad Gita*, you will understand. Worship God as Virtue. Worship virtue by practicing virtue.
              This is a way to spiritual transformation and realization."

              Swami Chidananda

              *CHAPTER 16

              16.01 The Supreme Lord said: Fearlessness, purity of heart, perseverance in the yoga of knowledge, charity, sense restraint, sacrifice, study of the scriptures, austerity, honesty;

              16.02 Nonviolence, truthfulness, absence of anger, renunciation, equanimity, abstaining from malicious talk, compassion for all creatures, freedom from greed, gentleness, modesty, absence of fickleness;

              16.03 Splendor, forgiveness, fortitude, cleanliness, absence of malice, and absence of pride; these are the qualities of those endowed with divine virtues, O Arjuna.