1000-petaled lotus

  • walto
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 13, 2011
      The symbol for the lotus with the thousand petals is widely used in Eastern mysticism. It is a symbolic rendition of the idea that everything is connected to everything else and that nothing is really separate and isolated from all the rest of the universe. The center of the lotus is any object or event you may choose. Each of the petals symbolizes the connection between the center and something else. The idea of a "thousand" petals is symbolic of an infinity of them: there is no limit to the number of petals in this concept.

      This is a structured meditation of the outer way. A word, idea, image is chosen by you to be the center of the lotus for this exercise....Once you have chosen the center word, get comfortable contemplate it and wait. Presently your first association comes to you. You look at the two words connected by the first "petal path" and regard them for three to four seconds. You either understand the reason for the association or you do not. In either case you do nothing more than regard the center, the path and the association for the tree to four seconds. Then you return to the center word and wait for the next association and repeat the procedure, and so forth. This is not free association; you always return to the word you have designated as the center of the lotus and proceed again from there.

      [Suppose] I choose the word "light" as the center. My first association is "sun." I regard the two, "light" and "sun" and the petal path between them for three to four seconds. I understand the connection. I return to "light."...The next association is "dark." I understand it and, after three to four seconds, return to "light."...The next association is "umbrella." I do not understand it and return after three to four seconds to "light" and so on.

      Sometimes I may run into clusters of associations. For example, "red" could have been followed by "blue," then by "green," etc. If this happens, simply stay with the discipline even if it means going around the spectrum several times. Presently it will cease. If you run into a series of associations you do not understand, there is a very good chance that if you stay with it they will clear up.

      -Lawrence LeShan

      Best,

    • sandeep chatterjee
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 13, 2011
        The Lotus flower births and is always found in the midst of dirt, pond-ish muck

        Yet nothing of that surrounding dirt/muck .......stains its beauty.

        In the East, the Lotus flower is used to symbolize...

        ...in the world and all that being in entails........but nothing of the world ........stains.